Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Network consultant for over 20 years.
25267123

We have a new network router which does not have a DHCP server.

Customer Question

We have a new network router which does not have a DHCP server. Router has a static IP of 81.xxx.xxx.113. We have static IPs reserved up to 81.xxx.xxx.126
We have connected it to a new wireless access point which does have a DHCP server. We have connected this to the router, using LAN connection type Static IP, assigned the router the static IP of 81.xxx.xxx.120, and gateway of 81.xxx.xxx.113 (i.e. the router).
We've enabled DHCP - however the access point software is requiring that the DHCP start IP address and end IP address are 81.xxx.xxx.113 and 81.xxx.xxx.126. I would have expected the DHCP server to use internal IP address like 196.168.0.100 to 199. But when I try that, it says Bad Start/END IP range.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is what are the correct DHCP settings? I don't understand why having a access point on a static IP means every device i connect to the wireless access point must have an external IP address?
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
You should set it to DHCP and NAT then you can assign private IP addresses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the bit I'm missing - but do you know where I would do that, I can't see it anywhere.http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WA901ND_V3/Index.htmThat is an emulator of the software, I can't see the NAT option
Is that the access point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can have a look at the actual access point if you want, it's available to access remotely for the time beinghttp://81.145.210.120/ITHPCEBACECLRCIB/userRpm/Index.htm
u: FibreS247
p: avaya1860
You would have to log out
NOTE: The router allows only one administrator to login at the same time, please try again later.
I meant log out of the Access Point