Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I would like to know what the security risks associated with

Customer Question

I would like to know what the security risks associated with communicating data and information across Citrix XenApp 6.5 and Citrix Storefront servers are. I'm not concerned about the accounts, more so the the data being intercepted due to weak cryptography,
etc.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The right answer to your question depends upon whether you are configuring a XenApp 6.5 server, or just about the security risk to a user of the XenApp interface on the client (or, in a business, 'customer') side of things.
If you're asking about server-side usage, this tells something:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127030
But if it's client-side, or 'customer', usage, that's different.
That side of things may depend greatly upon whether the server-side is properly configured and taken care of.
Make sure, in configuration of anything client-side, that SSL encryption is enabled, for sure. TLS isn't bad if the configuration has it.
I presume you mean to have usage be over the internet, not just within a LAN or local network. (If not let me know.)
There are certain firewall settings that are appropriate for certain specific usages and deployments. For instance, to allow localhost traffic only on ports 1494 and 2598 is appropriate in some circumstances. To allow too many ports open, for any application, is defective security, and you would need to be careful to do only the minimum!
This document goes into way too much detail on the subject:
https://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/support/citrix-xenapp-6-5-and-xendesktop-5-6-security-standards-and-deployment-scenarios.pdf
Before I explain further, I feel it would be best to be sure of just what context I am to explain. Let me know if this is enough explanation, or whether you need further information in a more specific way. Thanks.