Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a Netcomm N300 N7 Router and I am trying to connect

Customer Question

Hi I have a Netcomm N300 N7 Router and I am trying to connect my DVR in order to view my cameras remotely. The cameras are hard wired to the dvr, not wireless so I don't need to configure them. I'm also currently running a Cat5 cable through my house from the dvr to the router and would prefer to connect my other router directly to the DVR and somehow configure that to connect to my N7 router and then port forward, so use the secondary router as a range extender type set up. Can you help.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are screen shots of my router advanced setup. First two images are status page, the third is dchp clients list showing the ip addresses assigned to currently connected devices and fourth is the port forwarding page which I don't know what to put where
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So there are 2 different parts of this. Firstly, you would need to set up your second router as an "Access Point" on your network to act as a range extender. Information on how to do this: http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-router-to-expand-your-wi-fi-network/
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Once you have this set up as an Access Point, you wouldn't need to configure any additional port forwarding on the 2nd router as it is just acting as an extension of your main router. You would just then need to configure the port forwarding on the main router to allow your IP address of your DVR to be viewed externally. You can do this on the port forwarding page by assigning a TCP/UDP forward for the IP address of the DVR and assign the port the DVR is configured for. 81 is a good port to use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I realise that. And it is the port forwarding that I need assistance with as I said. The main router is Netcomm N7 I attached screen shots of the port forwarding pages, it is not like other routers in the things it asks for
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
So for "Service Port: Enter the port you assigned the DVR (as I mentioned 81 is ok)" "Server IP: IP Address of the DVR""Enable: Checked""User Rule#: (0) Always"
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Any luck with that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to choose an IP address through ip config based off of the gateway ip?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached the results of ipconfig which gave me my router ip and gateway ip. Then I've pinged 192.168.1.8 which came back u reachable so I chose this as my dvr ip. Is that correct. I've also attached the port forwarding hopefully that is how you said to fill it out. Do I need to do anything for port triggering as attached? What do I put in the dvr now?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
No you would want to assign the DVR a address that is available can be 192.168.1.X
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
192.168.1.8 looks to be an android phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So 192.168.1.8 is available now. So is that all I have to do with my router? What information do I now need to input to the dvr!? I've attached images of the menu options for networking my dvr. If you could please advise what options I am to select please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the dvr menu options under network and also the settings for mobile which I'm not sure about
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
So for the DVR: TCIP/IP Type: StaticMedia Port: 8000Web Port: 81IP Address: 192.168.1.8Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0Gateway: 192.168.1.1DNS1: 192.168.1.1DNS2: 8.8.8.8UPNP: On
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
That should do it. You should then from your local network be able to hit http://192.168.1.8:81 and then from the internet http://YOURWANIP:81 You can find your WAN IP by going to www.myipaddress.com
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
You can go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test to see if port 81 is open to make sure network traffic is flowing on that port. If that test returns "Error" then we need to take a look at the router again to see why it is not open.