Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I have one Time Warner Router, Two Cisco Switches (WS-3550-24PWR-SMI)T

Customer Question

I have one Time Warner Router, Two Cisco Switches (WS-3550-24PWR-SMI)
Two Buildings 280' Apart, they need to share the same network because of the TCP/IP Phones and Data Share Drives. One 24 port Switch in one building that will have their phones and data hooked into and the other building will have its own 24 port switch. What is the BEST way to go about this?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
In this case, a simple wireless point to point bridge will work best.
In order to connect the two buildings and keep them on the same network, you can use two of the following devices or something similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168093
- One wireless bridge will be plugged into each of 24 port switches.
- The above-linked devices can work up to a maximum of two miles. The 280 feet that you are dealing with will not be a problem.
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I should have mentioned, I have (1) CAT6 cable running between the two

buildings. The wireless is not an option. Too much lag time.

I need a better plan please.

What I'm looking for is a step by step solution. Do you know what I mean?

Hello Keith,
Yes, I understand what you mean.
Being that you already have CAT6 cable running between the buildings, you can simply connect the two network segments together using that cable.
The step by step solution is to connect the two switches together using the CAT6 cable that has already been ran.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason, Should they have static IPs assigned to each switch?

Should I plug one switch into port 1 of the router and the other in port 2 of the router? It has 4 ports available. Are you familiar with Cisco Switches?

Yes, each switch needs to have a static IP address within the same subnet as your pre-existing network. It doesn't matter which ports you use on the router. You can plug the switches into the router into any port or you could connect the switches to each other and only plug one into the router. How you connect everything will depend on your physical layout, of course. As far as speed goes, the best choice would be to plug both of the switches into any of the four LAN Ports.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I'm looking for a more detailed answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so this is what I'm looking for.....that's good

I am running the basic 192.168.1.XXX with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

How do I set the static IPs on the switches?

Commands????

I am sorry that there was any confusion beforehand. It is time for me to leave for the day. For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.No rating of the help is needed. Thank you for your patience. - Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back for at least 48 hours and would like my money refunded please....
Thank you - Keith