Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a Windows 7 machine that I need to upgrade to Windows

Customer Question

I have a Windows 7 machine that I need to upgrade to Windows server so I can have multiple users coming in over remote desktop. I assume I can upgrade a regular windows version to a server version and I think I've done it before. What do I need to purchase
and what's the general procedure?
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what version of Windows Server you are wanting to go with?
Typically there is not a direct "upgrade path" from Windows 7 to any version of Server...a clean install is required but you can migrate the data over from your Win7 machine
Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios · Upgrades to Windows Server 2008 R2 from the following operating systems are not supported:· Windows® 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista®, Windows Vista Starter, or Windows 7
From this Microsoft Document: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19649
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this input. I think I will go to Server 2012, though it's a lot like Windows 8, which I dislike. Last time I did this it was from XP to Server 2003 and I did it directly.
Right..it was possible before but now unfortunately it is not. I really don't care fore Server 2012 either...unless there are any specific features you need from 2012 I would still go the Server 2008 R2 route. You can actually purchase a 2012 license and still install 2008 using it...giving you the option to upgrade to 2012 later at no cost
It's referred to as : downgrade rights
Any other questions regarding this that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so I'm going to go to Windows Server 2008 R2. Good advice. But my original question is unanswered. What do I have to buy and what do I have to do?
So you would need to purchase a license for Server 2012 (or alliteratively you could locate a discounted version of 2008...but it would not give you rights to install 2012 later if you desired). Then you need to get a User CAL for each user that will access it (alot of purchases I see do come with 5 user CALs already). If you plan to use the same physical hardware to run Server 2008, you need to backup your Win 7 data to another location (USB disk?) and then install Server 2008 on that machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the server install wipe out my existing data?
Yes, it would. So that's why I mentioned you need to backup your existing data to another source. You could also re-partition the hard drive to have Server 2008 installed at the same time..