Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

Net gear range extender connects to router OK. Signal strength

Customer Question

Net gear range extender connects to router OK. Signal strength at extender location very strong. Try to connect iPad to extender, asks for password, router password ***** enter - rejected., no connection. Tried using 'password' as PW, , rejected. What now?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
This sounds like the wifi password ***** the extender may be different than the router. Did you choose the option during set up to use the same wifi security?
Do you have another device that you can connect to the extender to try the password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The PW quoted on the extender is 'password'. I've tried that - no joy. Looking on the Internet, lots of people have this same trouble, but I have found no workable solution. Every approach needs a PW, same problem.
okay, the password "password" is for the log in on the Netgear interface to set up and change the settings. Try using the same password ***** you use on the router wifi>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said in my first contact, I used the router password ***** the start - rejected. On the router, there are three other numbers quoted. SN and router, GW and MAC. I've tried the first - no good. I am trying to connect to an IPad. Still no further forward!
okay, the wifi password ***** the router will not be on the label. do you have another device connected to the router wireless?
If yes, what is the brand/model?
What is the brand/model of the router also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Laptop Acer 5332 is connected wirelessly at 30 Mb. Router is Netgear TG582n.
Okay, you can find your wireless password ***** one of these methods.
Please follow these steps:
Click the wireless strength indicator on the Windows taskbar (bottom right corner).
Right-click your wireless network name, and then select Properties.
Click on the security heading, Select Show characters to display the wireless network password.
If you are not able to find or view the password ***** this next. ....
Log in to your NETGEAR router by typing one of these into your empty address bar at the top in your internet browser.
http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.0.1 or
http://www.routerlogin.net or
http://www.routerlogin.com
Then Enter the username (admin) and password. By default, the password ***** ***** or 1234 (for older router models) unless it has already been changed.
From the left-hand navigation menu of the Router administration interface, select Set Up > Wireless Settings
Note: On some routers this option will be under BASIC > Wireless.
From the center screen, you find the current wireless security settings under the Security Options heading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went through the routine to find the wireless password ***** exactly the same as is shown on the label and the password ***** have been using with no success. The security is shown as WPA2Personal and the encryption is AES if that helps.
I have been in mechanical design and manufacture since 1943 (I suspect this dates me a bit). From about 1980 onwards, most of my projects have been computer controlled. I insisted that every application should be verified by non IT personnel before release. How right I was!
I am getting seriously hacked off with this pantomime. If one of my team had produced equipment that involved so much grief, he would not last long, I can assure you.
I hear you, sometimes these things can be very aggravating. It sounds like you ate doing everything right. The only option at this point will be to reset try he exciter to factory defaults and go through the set up again
Make sure that you choose the option that ask you to use the same security settings as your router.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reset the extender to factory defaults as soon as It failed to connect and went through the set-up again, several times.
Sorry for the misspelled wording. I think my speak check has glitched.
are you try to connect to the extender with the laptop and ipad. Try this on the ipad.
Follow the instructions below to reset your iPad's network settings:
Step 1:
Tap Settings.
Step 2:
Tap General.
Step 3:
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Reset.
Step 4:
Tap Reset Network Settings.
Step 5:
You will get a prompt warning you that this option will delete all network settings and return them to factory default settings. Tap Reset to continue.
Step 6:
Wait while your iPad resets its network settings.
Once the reset process is done, your network settings will return to its factory default settings. Your iPad will also automatically restart. Try reconnecting your iPad to the network again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset as suggested, tried to connect to extender with router password, rejected again. Tried to connect direct to router with same password, OK!! (Thank God something works first time)
Your move.
okay, Reset the netgear again, then on the iPad there should be a wireless network name called NETGEAR_EXT showing up (scroll down the list at the Wi-Fi setting on the iPad. Then choose the NETGEAR_EXT on the iPad` use the Netgear Genie on the iPad to set up the netgear extender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bedtime - I'll continue tomorrow. Are younEast Coast or West?
That will be fine. I am Southeastern US, central time.