Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a NetGear WNDR3400 v1 router that has crapped out.

Customer Question

I have a NetGear WNDR3400 v1 router that has crapped out. Power light does not light, but internet light comes on solid yellow and switch ports solid green 5.8 GHz wireless light solid blue. No other lights. Cannot access unit via wired or wireless network.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think your router is (thoroughly) 'broken'. Perhaps it took a power surge... perhaps it had the wrong voltage of power applied to it... perhaps it had a firmware update only partially applied to it... but it is in a severely disordered status, perhaps part-way through initialization and stuck there.
The best you can do is to turn it Off, unplug it from power, and leave it that way, unplugged, for at least 1/2 hour, or more.
Then plug it in again, only to the power, and see if it initializes fully as evidenced by the indicator lights.
(How old is the router in question? Has it been powered directly from the wall, or through a surge protector or other power filtering device?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rouer is dated 2010. Powered it off overnight and unplugged. After 24 hours, same state when powered up and after a halt hour. Tried pressing reset to factory button and holding same for 30 seconds with no apparent result. Device has no console port to connect to, so no direct access for troubleshooting. Unit's wall wart is plugged into a surge protector strip. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I diagnose a spontaneous severe failure.
You can try one last thing... unplug everything from it, as well as the power.
Plug it back in to the power after 2 minutes, but *only* connect it to the power for now. Power it On, see if it is still locked up in the same status. If so, it is broken and as good as in the trash.