IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I am trying to extend range of my University's wifi to improve

Customer Question

I am trying to extend range of my University's wifi to improve spotty coverage in my apartment. I need to know 1.) if a wifi extender can be used in this situation and 2.) a product recommendation for an easy to set up wifi extender.
Please note, my local OfficeMax just sold me a universal highpower wifi range extender made my amped wireless. However, set up of this has not succeeded. It is possibly my error, but I don't think so...
I am NOT technology inclined, prepare to dumb it down :)
Category: Networking
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
1. Yes, a separate WIFI extender may be used to extend the range of your WIFI network itself.
2. I would advise purchasing the following Netgear extender from Amazon (I use this personally):
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433627065&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+extender
Having purchased the extender, you just need to plug it in to a power outlet and then connect the device to your computer (using an Ethernet cable) first. A Netgear Genie window will automatically come up, which will allow you to set up the extender with your wireless router accordingly.
It comes included with a stepwise installation manual as well, and if you need further help configuring the device, you may always get back to me on this page itself.
If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation.
If you do not require further assistance, kindly do not forget to rate my service by clicking on a star at the top of this page. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the exact unit you recommended, and after 3 hrs of me and Physics PhD roommate trying we still can't get the damn thing to work.
Here's the error code that we both got at the very end of the process:
The selected network is no longer available. Please make sure the existing network equipment is within the proximity of the Extender.
If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).
The Extender MAC address is C4:04:15:2C:F1:CE
Your wireless adapter MAC address is 02:0F:B5:C3:7F:12
Keeping in mind that I'm not tech savvy:
-range extender always has 50+% signal strength of original network
-I attempted connection of multiple devices to extender via ethernet cables and wirelessly. No dice.
-all devices show extender signal strength as excellent.
Only thing that seems fishy is that the "Link rate" LED is not illuminated any color at any time...it's just off.
What am I missing here?
Thanks ahead of time for your help!
Brad
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I had gone off for the weekend.
I'll open up your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further with this issue. Thank you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

If you still need assistance with this issue, please tell me what is the distance between your place and the University.
Also, are you currently connecting to the University Wi-Fi network via the laptop's built-in wireless adapter or you use an external USB wireless adapter?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Do you still require assistance with this issue?
Let me know,