Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I want to change the SSID # ***** had to a new one given to me

Customer Question

I want to change the SSID # ***** had to a new one given to me by CenturyLink can you help me?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can I ask why you have to change the SSID? Just in case your doing it for the wrong reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was not working, and I called CenturyTel. They said I need a new modum, and sent it by UPS. I installed it. It worked fine, but I have to put the new info into the Belkin Range Extender for it to pick up the new signal? Right?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Right, but you dont change the SSID you re setup the Belkin, it wont work changing SSID
What is the make and model of the Belkin and I tell you how to do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Ruko setup on the TV, and need that Range Extender to reach the TV on the other end of my home. The model # ***** the Belkin is F9K1106v1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a copy of this conversation when we are finished please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
First you have to reset the Belkin
To do this,
Push and release the “Reset” button. The light on the
Range Extender will momentarily flash and then become
solid again, indicating that the reset is complete.
Then : Connect the cable to the Ethernet port on your PC and the Belkin, and then plug in the power supply.
Open a browser, visit http://Belkin.range
and follow the onscreen instructions to set it up.
Once the Range Extender has successfully joined the wireless network,
disconnect it from the PC, and unplug the power supply.
Place it where you wish to use it and that completes the process
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that it did not work. Now what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try again in case I did something wrong.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did it not work? On what step?
Please give more detail on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st of all I do not have a sold light when I reset the Range Extender, and my Ethernet is a wireless one. I have a dead cell in the hardware of my PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Range Extender is blinking blue and red/orange. It is not sold blue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to connect via a cable to the extender, so connect a network cable from the computer to the belkin
Like you did when you first received it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone else did this for me. The guy at Best Buy who sold the Belkin to me. He is friends with my daughter. What do I do now? Will it work if I connect the Belkin to a port on the back of the modum?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, it needs to be connected to your computer.
So a cable from the Belkin to your computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a cable to fit it here. What I have has the same connection on both ends like for my telephone jack. He must have brought one with him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you can not help me, can you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it has to be the network cable, not being a pain, but its a step we cannot skip as it does the communication via the cable.
Can you borrow one from someone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go to Alexandria and ask him. It will take me a day, or two to find out from him. He is very busy at work. I will try for sooner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get a copy of our conversation so I can reach you when I get that network cable?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I marked this question to never close, so when you get the cable, just carefully follow the instructions I gave to set it up.
Once you have the cable and go to the address I gave you, in your web browser, it is only a few steps to connect it to your new router and get it up and running.
Any problems at any time let me know, no issue with this
This web page stays open always so you always have a copy here else press CTRL + P and you can print this out
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, I knew how to do it. I just didn't have that network cable. How much are you charging me today?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I cant see that as I am only an engineer here, but nothing more then the deposit you made. I think its usually $20 or $30 but you can email***@******.*** and ask (thats customer service)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not rate your service till I know the price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The rating has nothing to do with the payments or price as you already made the deposit. It just makes sure I am compensated.
I think you missed my last message, no problen, I will repeat it