Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

My WIFI printer stopped WIFI printing. I am using a Mac laptop

Customer Question

My WIFI printer stopped WIFI printing. I am using a Mac laptop with OSX. The Brother printer has been printing fine for about a year and suddenly stopped printing WIFI. The printer status showed that it was connected to my WIFI system. The laptop shows it is connected to the WIFI network (and can open WEB pages.) They are both on the same WIFI network. Just to check, I turned off the printer WIFI and re-established the connection. The laptop prints fine on the printer if connected via USB cable. So the printer works and the laptop communicates via USB. The printer is a Brother H-2280DW. I have uninstalled the printed from the laptop and then reinstalled it as a new printer with the USB cable disconnected and it finds the printer via WIFI and installs and indicates that it is "on-line." However when I try to print a test page, it will not print and the printed icon changes to "busy" but does not print. If I delete the printed and reinstall, the same cycle happens. Can you suggest how I can get the printer to stay connected on WIFI and print WIFI?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can reset the printing system of OS X, it will restore the printing settings to default.
Goto System Preferences and select Print & Fax
Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu.
After resetting, your Printer may disappear from the list.
Then open your hard disk Macintosh HD > Library > Printers folder and trash all files from there. Don't empty the trash.
Now reinstall the latest driver for your printer and add the printer in System Preferences > Print & Fax.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The printer prints fine via USB. Are you sure that I need to go through all of the above even if it prints fine USB?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes Larry. Please try those.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I carefully follow

ed all the instructions and added the printer back with newly installed driver. It appeared "green" ready. I tried to print a test page and it turned yellow- busy and never printed. Same behavior as before. It still prints fine USB.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you setup a new user account from System Preferences > Users & Groups, then login to that and try to print from there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try when I can go to that machine again.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Larry. Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnected the printer from the WIFI router and then reconnected it to that WIFI router to make sure I had a good connection from printer to WIFI. It connected and the print out assured the connection was good and to the correct router. I disconnected the MacBook Pro from the WIFI Router and then reconnected it with no problem. I removed the printer from the laptop. I then created a new used and then connected to the WIFI and added a printer. The "Add a printer" saw and found the WIFI printer on the WIFI network and it installed without problem. The printer indicated online and ready. I then tried to print a test page and it would not print. The printer in the control panel indicated the printer was then busy and I could not open the printing que or discontinue the print. I went through the remove printer and add printer two times with same result. The printer prints fine if connected via USB. What can I do to get it to print WIFI?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Larry, can you print from another device using WiFi ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have another computer or a smartphone now ?