SSolim
SSolim, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  CCNA and US Army Satellite Systems maintainer. Years of experience running a DOD facility with 3000+ customers
28576655

I am having issues getting connected to some internet providers

Customer Question

I am having issues getting connected to some internet providers (hotels and gogo inflight) because it appears as though my connection will not resolve dns. I have a Lenovo Yogo 3 Pro.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am able to connect to the 'router' but the webpage for the additional sign-in information does not launch. It works fine at work and my other computer works fine in these 'problem' locations. I have only experienced this issue with this Lenovo Yoga Pro 3. I have taken all Windows Updates available for this computer and OS 8.1.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried all of the different IPCONFIG 'switches' to no avail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
/release, /renew, /flushdns, etc. I have even deleted my wireless adapter and let the computer detect and reinstall - still no luck.
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.
This may not be a dns issue
If you like you can set your dns manually in windows.
Here is a nice guide on it
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Changing-IP-address-and-DNS-Server-Settings-on-Windows-8
keep your ip address automatic (select "obtain ip address automatically) If this is not already selected this would also cause your problem.
Some common dns servers are
8.8.8.8 (google)
209.244.0.3 (Level 3)
You can find a full list here
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm
I do however suspect it is a redirect issue. You may have security software blocking this. Next time you are at a hotel please do the following
1. Run a command prompt
2. type in ipconfig
3. find your interface default gateway
4. type the default gateway into the browser (usually 10.0.0.X or 172.16.0.X or 192.168.X.X)
It should take you to the login page for your hotel.
Please post the results here and we can try for a permanent fix or if it is successful and you are happy with this solution. Than I wish you well.
-Stephen Dubbs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have DHCP enabled so it is picking up an IP address automatically. So far when I tested this on the airplane it did not work. I can find the default gateway IP address but when I ping it I get 'request timed out' and when i type the IP address into the browser it does not return the signin screen. I will be at the hotel again next week and will try there too - but I am guessing it will do the same thing.When I test this on my other laptop I have no issues getting logged in - however I also get 'request timed out' when I attempt to ping the 'default gateway' IP address on the airplane.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still not working - please help.
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.
what Ip address is your laptop getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really don't want to spend more money when I haven't really received anything (no offense to you personally) for my initial $15. I have almost 30 years of IT experience so I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting on my own.I would feel best about the additional $5 or would even pay an additional $10 - after it is fixed.Thoughts?IP Address I am getting when on the plane is 172.19.131.2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done a whole lot more research and it appears as though this is a common issue with Windows 8.1 and wireless adapters. I have installed an older Broadcom wireless driver and will test again tonight.
Expert:  SSolim replied 2 years ago.
sorry for the delay in response...
No issues if you don't want to pay more or get a remote connection. I can continue troubleshooting like this.
I was thinking actually to tweak some of the adapter settings. limit it to 20MHZ band not 40. just B/G/N or G/N no A. change the mac address.
Also if you know how to use linux. Get a Ubuntu (or any flavor) bootable USB drive, boot your computer with that and try connecting. If you can then it is definitely a windows 8 issue. If you can't then it is probably a faulty wireless card.
You can also try statically assigning the ip address you are issues via dhcp and set the dns server as the default gateway. This has worked in XP.
You can also try an external wireless adapter and see if you can connect through that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, I'll try those things and let you know. The more I read on the web the more I think it has to do with the drivers and Windows 8.1. I tried installing a Windows 7 driver and it seemed to get a little bit closer to working but it still did not work. I will let you know when I return to the hotel in a couple of weeks.