Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I have a Iomega storcenter ix2 and can not connect to it. It

Customer Question

I have a Iomega storcenter ix2 and can not connect to it. It is currently connected via a Cat 5 cable to a switch in my network. This is a used unit and I have no idea what the current settings are. I tried the reset button on the back but nothing happened. The Data recovery light has been blinking for over 36 hours but I have no idea if it is stuck or what is happening. Ideas?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
If the Data recovery light has been blinking for over 36 hours then one of the internal hard drives may have failed.
Try turning it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on again.
If the Data recovery light continues to blink, then one of the hard drives will need to be replaced - the built-in RAID system should have prevented any data loss due to the faulty drive.
For more information, see:
www.aceperipherals.com/brands/iomega/storcenter-ix2/storcenter-ix2-datasheet
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I would advise you, in addition to the above, to check the device's log, and see which drive has failed to be detected, or failed to be readable, etc.That would be the drive that needs replacing.As for which drive to replace it with - that would depend narrowly on the type of drive that has gone bad. An exact replacement, period, would be needed. I.e. the replacement drive would need to be the exact same maker and model, pretty much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In regards ***** ***** previous question, I can't verify the Status of the hard drives because I can't connect to the unit via the software. Like I stated before, the unit is used and I don't have any idea of the current settings. The reset button has not worked when pressed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try holding down the reset button for 30 continuous seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't make any difference. I could hear it doing something but the software still doesn't recognize the ix2 and the data light is still flashing
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What error do you get from the attempt to connect with the software (and, what software is it, please?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LenovoEMC Storage Manager for Windows: Version 1.4.6.33005. It says: select storage from list. But there is nothing visible to select.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What shows up inStart - Computerfor the (presumably) disk drive(s) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows C: and D: which are the 2 HD in my computer. It also shows E: which is the DVD and F:, G:, H:, and I:Which and designated " Removable Disk".
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then it isn't showing up, basically: not recognized as *any* disk. It's possible that your StorCenter is a bad risk. Both/all disks in it might be defective! or central circuitry defective, too. Are there any ports on it, on the box, aside from ports for power and for the CAT5 cable you have it hooked up by ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 3 USB connectors. 1 on the front and 2 in back
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's a rather long shot, but try connecting the StorCenter to your computer / a ('expendable') computer, with a USB cable - if the StorCenter's USB connectors are not the rectangular type... or perhaps even if they are (though a USB cable with the rectangular or 'host' connector on both end might be hard to find!)

See if it comes up, that way, as a recognizable drive. Who knows, it just might. May as well cover all the bases on the matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck with that work around,

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then I have nothing more to suggest, except that it might well be a total loss, unfortunately.
But I have Opted Out, not cutting off communication, but opening the case to other Experts, in case one of them can shine a ray of hope - or better - on this matter.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
Often times, the mainboard in the iOmega Storecenter will fail. In such cases, you can disassemble the device and use a Sata to USB adapter, which will give you access to the data & files on the drives.
Here is an example of the aforementioned device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
In short, you would remove the drive(s) from the iOmega, plug it into the adapter listed above and plug it into the computer. When you do that, the drives will appear as an external drive on the computer.
If you need anything else in the future, please let me know.
Thank you for your time today.
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased a Thermaltake SATA docking Station and when I inserted the HD it just wants to format it. It will not read it at all.

I am sorry to hear that.
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason