Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

Trying to reset a password ***** an SRW2048 switch

Customer Question

trying to reset a password ***** an SRW2048 switch
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.Usually you reset a password, if you cannot access a Linksys device's admin account otherwise, by pressing and holding down the 'reset' button on the back of the device, for 20 seconds or more continuously. That erases all the settings on the device, and returns it to a factory-issue status. It will mean that any special setup on the device will have to be re-done. Is this the sort of problem you are dealing with? or is there some other solution you would prefer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no reset button on the back. it has a power cord and a DB9 connector. We have three of the switches that have been here for years and no one knows the password
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Look on all surfaces, then.Also: Does anyone around there know how these are supposed to be configured? if that is lost with being reset completely, your case wouldn't be much improved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Wea re only using it as a switch we have not fiber or anything installed. Nothing other than spickets for internet and some ports are either bad or configured for something else and we really need all 48 ports available in both plants for pass thru.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. That sounds as if a total reset is just what you need.
Research says the SRW series doesn't have a reset button anywhere, so that's over as a possibility.
Re-doing the firmware might be what has to be done. This can be done from the PROM monitor, it seems, if you interrupt the bootup of the device.
So: have the device Off for a while (2 minutes, minimum), then turn it On and where it says
Autoboot in 2 seconds - press RETURN or ESC to abort and enter PROM
you should press RETURN - or ESC - and get to the PROM... with the computer in Hyperterm connected to the monitor port on the switch with (I think) a null-modem cable... or similar arrangement, to monitor the bootup.
Then if offered a menu, with option 1 being
Download software
try that option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I wasn't clear in the first answer request. I can't connect to the device thru the serial cable. That was my question, I have a DB 9 cable with a female to female adapter and it will not connect to the device.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It has to be a null-modem 9-to-9 cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that may be the problem not sure what that is. I thought a db9 to db9 was what is needed. Do you have a pin out and I can make one as they are no longer availiable.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
They are still made, and sold. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-6ft-Null-Modem-Serial-RS232-Cable-Adapter-Gold-DB9-Male-Female/361875.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=361875&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRI_SP&cm_ven=ShoppingFeeds&ef_id=U6D99gAABDk1Kg4T:20150507205108:s&gclid=CLOCj5HBsMUCFYEojgodfLMAEw -link should open when clicked on.