RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Cannot re-install my Brother MFC-465CN and MFC-495CW in windows

Customer Question

Cannot re-install my Brother MFC-465CN and MFC-495CW in windows 7 64 bit network connect. They work from other PC's in the house. I have turned off Norton 360, any other app I can find. I have run as adminstrator. I have tried at least one of them in safe mode. I have fully uninstalled. I am using the correct downloaded driver/utilities for the O/S. The error message include.
IS052- InstallNetworkDriver - 1
The arguments are invalid
192.168.0.29
error 0x00000057
error 0x00000003
IS015- GetOSVersion -1
This OS version is not supported (IS041)
Category: Networking
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Right click on the program you are trying to install and go to properties then
click on the compatibility tab, check the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for" then select windows XP in the drop down list and the program should run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - when attempted the MFC-495CW messages an incompatible OS and the MFC-495 does not let me change the compatibility (all greyed out to Vista)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In short - it does not work
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
Can you check the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The MFC-465CN install properties compatibility tab is greyed out so not changeable but the box is checked and the selection is Windows Vista.
The MFC-495CW install properties compatibility tab has the box checked with the selection at Windows XP service pack 3.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Note that the downloads for these printers (entire package including drivers, nw, scan, etc) were for Windows 7 64 bit which is what I have on my PC.
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
how is your printer setup is it connected to this win7 64bit computer?
Have you tried to install it by just going into start>control panel> devices and printers >add a printer and select the printer from the list without using the downloaded driver.
brothers website says that the drivers for these two printers are available thru windows update, so you should be able to install using the steps above.
Here is a list of drivers for all of brothers for windows 7 http://www.brother-usa.com/lp/windows7compatibility.aspx#.VUu6gY5Viko
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - you would think so. I tried that with the MFC495CW only and it was unsuccessful. I forget which error it had but it was likelu one of the list I opened this conversation with.
I have also not tried a streight USB connect as one of them is elsewhere in the house and they are both working on the network (MFC-495CW wireless and MFC-465CN wired) for all the other computers in the house.
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
Can you ping the printers from the computer?
go to start type in cmd hit enter then in the black box type in the printers ip address
you can also install the printer as a local printer and click on create new printer port and then standard tcp/ip port and type in the printers ip address and install
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been able to ping the printers without any problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If we do get the printers running, there is still the issue with scanning
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
try to install as a local printer with the tcp/ip port
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(note - see attachment "MFC465CN (good) MFC495CW (BAD).pdf" after reading two sections below)MFC-465CN (OK)
------------------
Using Devices and Printers - Add Printer - I was able to install it from windows update as a network printer without first installing as a local printer. It prints. I was then able to install the Control Center 3 and use it to scan. So this one is looking good but it is where I was yesterday morning before I tried uninstalling both printers. It is also not my primary printer.MFC-495CW (FAILED)
-------------------
Using Devices and Printers - Add Printer - I am unable to install from windows update either as a network printer or a local printer. It fails on error 0x00000003. I still was able to install the Control Center 3 for it and there is some communication with the printer but not printing or scanning - which is what I need on my primary printer. (see second part of attached PDF)
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
Run this Microsoft Fix-it tool from the link provided below:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/
Note: run the fixit as an administrator user.
Let me know if this changes anything
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(See attachment "MFC495CW with MSfixit.pdf) for a visual of what happened below)
The tool did not work. It asked which of my installed printers was not working .... but the MFC495CW was not installed (as we know). It then took me into the Add Printer routine which I did twice as a network printer and it failed on two errors -
error 0x00000057
error 0x00000003
Please see attached PDF for a visual of the process
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
I will open this question back up, so the other experts can assist you as I am out of ideas,
Good luck & Thanks for using just answers.
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry if I go over the same things that you may have tried but hopefully they are pretty simple stuff and I want to know exactly what happens when you try them
1. do you have other printers on the problem computer and do they work ?
2. if you use the add printer button in the devices and printers folder does that
A. find the printer
B. install it
3.
if no other printers work and it does find it on the network but cant install or cant use it
there is a utility on this page that will reset the entire printing system on windows 7
run that and then try to install the printer again
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/02/24/microsoft-fixit-for-printing.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. do you have other printers on the problem computer and do they work ? - YES - BOTH BROTHER AND NETWORK CONNECTED - A HL-2270DW LASER AND AN MFC-465CN INKJET MULTIFUNCTION2. if you use the add printer button in the devices and printers folder does that
A. find the printer - YES
B. install it - NO --- FAILS ON ERRORS 0x000...003 AND/OR 0x000...0573.
if no other printers work and it does find it on the network but cant install or cant use it - N/A BASED ON QUESTIONS ABOVEthere is a utility on this page that will reset the entire printing system on windows 7
run that and then try to install the printer againhttp://blogs.technet.com/b/ask…NOTE THAT I HAVE CHANGED ADMIN USERS, ADDED PERMISSIONS, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, USED BROTHER UTILITIES, CHECKED THE REGISTRY (MFC-495CW IS NOT THERE), TURNED OFF ANTIVIRUS, CLOSED APPLICATIONS, RUN IN SAFE MODE.......... I THINK I HAVE PUT TOO MUCH TIME INTO THIS.I CONSIDER THIS CASE NOT SOLVED AND FOR A HUNDRED BUCKS WILL JUST GET ANOTHER PRINTER.
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.
a couple things you can try if you want
A. set it as shared on one of the other computers and see if you can install it as a shared printer from that computer rather than a direct network printer
B. download the install driver from the brother website to make sure that you have a good copy of the correct driver.
C. run the utility anyway. The printing system may be corrupt enough to not add a printer but will still run the existing ones.
YOU WILL HAVE TO RE INSTALL ALL PRINTERS AFTERWARDS
D. I would try a different brand if you dont do C but buy a new printer because its possible that the brother printers use shared files and it wont overwrite a file from one of the older ones that works with that printer but not the new one.
E. You can remove and re install all the printers for the reason stated in D above. But if you are going to do that anyway i see no reason not to run the utility first in C.