Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am on DSL with Century Link.

Customer Question

I am on DSL with Century Link. In my office I have a Century Link router. Next door, in my home I have a Linksys AC1200 router in conjunction with the Century Link router. I just purchased a Linksys N300 Range extender. I have dead spots in my home and want the range extender to solve the problem. Can you tell me how to set up the range extender to extend the Linksys router and not the Century Link. When I originally set up the two routers, I had to change Linksys's router IP address from XXX XXX.1 to XXX.XXX.1.2 . I also disabled the DHCP. Can you help me? Joe XXXX

Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Joe! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does the Linksys N300 Range extender have the model RE3000W? or something else?

Right now, the Linksys AC1200 router is currently working fine right?

When you set up the Linksys N300 range extender as in the instructions, does it see both the wireless network names of your linksys router and your CenturyLink router? What happens when you select the linksys' wireless network name?

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for just getting back to you. I have been extremely busy and was just able to work on the range extender issue yesterday. Yes the AC1200 router works fine. Yes the Range extender is a RE3000W. I guess the problem is that my old laptop is running on XP and it would not support the setup CD. I went in to extender ip address XXX XXX XXX, and was able to set up the extender manually. Everything is working fine. Thank you, Joe