Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I cant connect to the internet. I can conner to the router

Customer Question

I can't connect to the internet. I can conner to the router wireless and with cable but in both cases i get the message "Access: Only local". The OS is vista.
I have tried
1. system restore to the oldest date I could find.
2. uninstall antivirus.
3. netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt
4. Manually version of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
Still i can't get it working...
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello Zacharias! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Have you also tried to disconnect the power cord from the modem/router for a few minutes, then reconnect?

What's the current IP address of the computer?

Does this affect one computer, or all computers/devices?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The problem only affects my "pc" (same problem at different routers). My MacBook (and other devices) works fine at the same routers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure how to find the ip address? cmd->ipconfig and then ?

I'm sorry. Yes, use the ipconfig command. Was it able to work on this router previously?

Have you also tried to disconnect the power cord from the modem/router for a few minutes, then reconnect? (This won't affect other computers/devices; when you reconnect the power cord to the router, it will work fine again (no need to re-set up anything on the router.)

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Now I'have tried to disconnect the power but same result.

Forbindelsesspecifikt dns-suffiks: P-2601HN-F1

Link-local-IPv6-adresse: fe80:8ca1:82cf:62cf:2fb%11

IPv4-adresse: 10.0.0.9

Undernetmaske: 255.255.255.0

Standardgateway: 10.0.0.1

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if I should i remove the edit I performed before contacting you:?

1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{<Network Adapter GUID>}

In this registry path, click the <Network Adapter GUID> subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    Note Network Adapter GUID is a placeholder for the network adapter GUID in this article. To find the corresponding GUID, refer to step 2 and step 3.

2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

3. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.

4. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.

5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

6. Close Registry Editor.

Wait. Are you able to connect this laptop to any other wi-fi / router?

Can you try this:

Click on Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Change adapter settings on the left (or click on Start and type ncpa.cpl and press Enter)

Right-click on the connected device/item (do both for wireless and local area connection as needed), then click on Properties.
Select the “TCP/IPv4” service in the list, then click the “Properties” button.

Then select the option Use the following DNS server addresses and add the following:

• 8.8.8.8
  • 8.8.4.4

graphic

, then click OK, OK.
, then check Internet.

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No the laptop is not able to connect through any other wi-fi / router (evan not my iPhone with internet sharing on).

I have tried as suggested changing the DNS server addresses but it didn't help either.

On my computer, I checked that the value DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag is set to 0, not 1. Can you set it to 0 for all network adapters, then restart the computer, and check?

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag set to 0 for all network adapters...

DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle is still set to 1 for the wireless adapter

restart

Still: "Access: Only local"

Sorry, wired/cable is still not working either right? I think you've tried everything already, so it looks like the network connection on that computer is corrupted. What's the model of that computer? Can you back up files, and reset the computer? Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No wired connection doesn't work either it seems.

It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro PA3613U-1MPC.

I'll have to get an external hard drive and then back up the necessary files. But yes, then I'll be able to reset the computer...

OK, please take your time to back up your files, then reset, and let me know if there is still any issue. (If you know how to reset, but not this method: turn off the Toshiba laptop, then press & keep holding the key 0 (zero), and then turn on the laptop until the system recovery menu appears, then release the key 0, and continue; or do your reset method.) Thank you.
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It didn't help to reset the computer either. Actually i'm quite mystified about what is wrong. If it was a hardware problem then the problem would as I see it only be allocated to either the LAN or the WLAN as it seems to be to different devices. If it was a software issue reinstall of OS should fix the problem but this doesn't help either.

Sorry it's strange. Do you have MAC address filter enabled on the modern/router?

Can you go to the Toshiba website and update the BIOS and network drivers if available?

http://www.toshiba.se/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

http://pc-support.toshiba-europe.com/drivers/

Does your Toshiba laptop work at another internet connection somewhere else?

Thank you.