Kamil Anwar, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

Hi, would you please explain ho I go about connecting my laptop

would you please explain ho I go about connecting my laptop to a main computer. I am using windows 7 and 8
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 8 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you want to share files on both the computers, so you can view them if not then what is the purpose of connecting laptop to main computer?

Kamil Anwar :

Please leave me a message when you are back.

Customer:

I have a business and want to be able to work on my laptop at home and at the office while my employee is processing transactions

Kamil Anwar :

Do you mean that you want to connect to your laptop remotely?

Kamil Anwar :

Connecting from your laptop to your main computer, so you can control and see whats happening on the main computer?

Customer:

yes I have a wifi or blue tooth thing from telstra

Kamil Anwar :

That's okay.

Kamil Anwar :

Just to confirm, you want to connect from your laptop to your computer, am i correct?

Customer:

I want them to be on the same page when I'm working

Kamil Anwar :

You can control that if you are able to view the desktop/main computer remotely.

Customer:

ok

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have the computer in front of you which you would like connect to remotely?

Customer:

I guess I want to see the same things on my laptop that is on the main computer

Customer:

No i am at home now, need to be at the office

Kamil Anwar :

We will need access to the computer which we need to control remotely.

Kamil Anwar :

Once we have access to it, we can install a program on it that will allow you to connect to it

Customer:

Can you just talk me through it for later use?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes, once you have access to the other computer.

Customer:

Ok, I will be using this one but i'm not near the main one

Kamil Anwar :

That's okay. You will use this one but to connect to that one, you need to access it once so you can put the program on it that will allow connection.

Customer:

Bugger, will try again at work. I't usually too busy to use the computer during working hours but i will try and find some quiet time, how long will it take.

Kamil Anwar :

It takes 10 minutes if all instructions are performed correctly.

Kamil Anwar :

You will need to open www.teamviewer.com on that computer.

Once you open that site, you will need to download TeamViewer on that computer.

After downloading it, Team Viewer will give you a number Your ID and a Password. You will then make a note of that ID and right click on the password, then set a custom password.

Customer:

Ok thank you Kamil.

Kamil Anwar :

Once you have that information, you will download team viewer on your computer. Then, provide teamviewer with the ID of the other computer and password. You will then be able to connect to it, see what's happening on that computer, control it.

Kamil Anwar :

You're welcome :) And if you can rate my answer, that will be appreciated.

Customer:

where do I find the ID ?

Kamil Anwar :

When you download the program and install it, the ID will be shown on it.

Kamil Anwar :

Full Size Image

Kamil Anwar :

See the image, you will see ID in Your ID.

Customer:

i meant the other computer

Kamil Anwar :

and password XXXXX it, you will make a note of ID and right Click on the password, then setup a new custom password.

Kamil Anwar :

I am talking about the process on other computer.

Kamil Anwar :

That is what you will do on the other computer.

Customer:

OK sorry, not good at this stuff :)

Kamil Anwar :

The beginning is always a little difficult, but once you get through it, it will be easier.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.