Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have 5 windoes xp os desktops and two windows7 os desktops.

I have 5 windoes xp os desktops and two windows7 os desktops. The two windows7 desktops' network connection gets disconected time to time but the ones with xp are ok. what shoud I do to fix the issue?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Are these connected wireless or wired?

When they drop the connection how do your normally go about getting them reconnected?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unplulg the network cable and reconect it then it works for a while. When I download thngs on internet, it gets disconnected more often I think.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and do you know the make and model of router everything is plugged into and also do you know if the computers are using DHCP?

Lastly you are definitely losing the connection correct? You cannot browse any website when the problem happens right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, definetly lose connection. I don't know what DHCP is. router is Lynsys and all pluged.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.

Honestly as I am sure you understand computer networking can get complicated and this issue could be any one of a hundred things.

My first guesses would be that something about the windows 7 computers set up differs from the XP ones. This could be something with the configuration or it could be something like a network cable.

The first thing I suggest is you make note of what is happening when you lose connection.

Do this by putting your mouse over the network connection icon on the bottom right when you lose the connection and see what it tells you, it may say something like "local only" or something else.

Also when you lose connection you are going to want to click start, then in the search box above start type cmd and press enter to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter

Next type ipconfig /renew and press enter, make note if you can connect after you do that.

If you have a different network cable, try that as well, also try plugging these computers into a different port on the router.

The above should get you pointed in the right direction and you can come back to me with the results. If this is an old router it could be on it's way out OR they released what is called a firmware update for the router that you did not install as well but impossible to say at this point with more testing.

Next time it drops try the above and feel free to let me know how it went and I will continue to work on it with you
Thanks,
Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to replace a HDD with SSD. there are HDD0, HDD1, HDD2, SATA0 and SATA1 port. the existing HDD is connected to HDD0. Should I just connect the new SSD to HDD0 or SATA0? what's the difference between HDD0 and SATA0?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you could connect it where the drive you are replacing is currently connected however you should also be able to use it connected to any of the ports.

Once you have a new drive connected the machine should detect it. Now if this is a drive that you will be booting from and you have multiple drives you will need to set the correct drive as the boot drive in the BIOS.

Different boards can label these differently but based on what you have told me I am guessing that the HDD0 are the standard ATA drive connections and the SATA0 (serial ATA) are for connecting SATA drives.

They do the same thing but are different connections, SATA is faster than the older ATA which is probably what you have in there now. ATA is a wider ribbon style cable while SATA is much thinner.

If you are confused just let me know the exact make and model of motherboard or computer and I will locate the specs in the service manual but I am pretty sure they are the same and the only difference is the type of connectors it takes, either ATA or SATA.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The HDD0 and SATA0 are both thin same data cable. the existing HDD was a SATA hard drive too but was connected to HDD0. the new SSD drive is also a SATA. is it better to connect it to the SATA0 then? or the same?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Then I am not sure would need to know which board you are using so I can how they have it labled so let me know if you can and I can find specifics.

However, I would replace it in the same port of the drive you are replacing to keep it simple.
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have Dell T3600 desktop which has Windows7 64bit with 4gb ram memory. Just purchased 2x4gb ram to increase the memory but when I install them the computer doen't boot up. error massage says "Alert! The amount of systme memory has changed. Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system........"

If I take out the current 4gb ram and put these two new memory cards, the computer will boot up but still the same error massage shows.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Thanks for letting me know the model as these errors are specific to certain dell models.

I cannot find any specifics on clearing that error, I am guessing you have already removed the power cable, if you have not try to shut down, remove the power cable for a few minutes and reboot and see if the error is gone.

There is also a diagnostic test you can run which may be useful to see what was/is causing the issue.

Try this:
Power-on the computer.
As the computer boots, press the key as the Dell logo appears.
On the boot menu screen, select the Diagnostics option.
The Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment window is displayed, listing all devices detected in the computer. The diagnostics starts running the tests on all the detected devices.
If there are any issues, error codes are displayed.

Also for your reference check out the owners manual which you can download here it lists all the errors and error codes:http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/precision-t3600

Check out page 37 which talks about the memory specifications.

That error is pretty surprising though and not one I have come across personally. Looks like this machine can either ship with a 425 Watt power supply or 635. I suppose you could be pushing a 425 watt too hard with the ram upgrade depending on what other hardware is in the machine.

If that doesn't help you may want to open a new question about this and we may have an expert who has more experience with this specific dell.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a different questoin.

My computer is acting up and slow so I checked "Processes" on Windows task manager and found out svchost.exe's CPU is about 50 and system idel process is about 50. When I check the Performance on windows task manager, CPU usage shows as about 50% which is making the computer slow. Please advice to fix this issue and what is svchost.exe? virus?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it is a virus, svchost.exe is just a system process that multiple types of windows services use.

System idle is actually not using 50% , it means 50% is unused.

Now as you know the more you have running the slower things will be. You could have services running that you do not need to be running and we can disable those.

Depending on how much ram you have the amount of things running could be too much.

Here are some things you can do to speed this up.

First Disable Automatic Start Up Programs:

Click Start and in the search box type msconfig and press enter.

Click the startup tab at the top and deselect all of the programs that are listed and starting automatically.

You should be fine disabling them all however if you see anything related to your wireless adapter(if you have one) leave that checked. You can easily re-enable these if you need to.

Many programs automatically add themselves to automatic start up slowing down the machine and you do not need them to.

Next do a good malware scan:
Please download this free program by clicking on the following link. On the page click download latest version on the top right.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Start the installation, you can uncheck the start trial button as you do not need the paid version, the free one is fine. Once installed, open the program and do a full scan (This may take up to an hour or longer in some cases). After it's done, press ok, then click the show results button in the lower right.

On the next screen, check all the boxes and then press the remove selected button to remove any infections that it found.

Dooing the above should help, you may have some software installed that is using a lot of resources and it is possible you could have some infections that could be easting system resources but try the above and we will go from there.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist