Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a Mac desktop which is 6 years old and it struggles

I have a Mac desktop which is 6 years old and it struggles to find the wifi. My iPad Has no trouble. Are there some settings that are wrong or is it a hardware problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Is it just your wifi the Mac has problems finding? Or any wifi network?

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well it is a desktop so just the wifi in my house - Ido not take it out to try anywhere else..
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Fiona.

Is it a case that it does not see the wifi at all, or it sees it and cannot connect to it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually both! It sometimes sees it but cannot connect and sometime cannot even see it! It's very intermittent. Currently seeing nothing so I am on the iPad...
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, can you do the following please Fiona, as we rule out software as the issue.

Open keychain access application from Utilities -> Keychain Access.

Enter the Wireless network name in the search box and delete the Airport network password XXXXX with the name.

Quit Keychain Access and restart your Wi-Fi Router.

Restart the Mac and try to connect to the network again from your Mac

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok think I did that...
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, how did it go?

Is it now seeing the wireless?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow. It's working!
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Yep!

It was the keychain that was the issue, and we reset this.

It will be ok now. If the problem ever happens again, just repeat this procedure.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Network Specialist
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking