Netman70
Netman70, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have 5 yrs experience working in IT

I have a question for cisco vpn. I use cisco vpn at home for

I have a question for cisco vpn. I use cisco vpn at home for remote purposes. I connect to cisco vpn to work, and then i use remote desktop to remote to my work computer.

Last night after closing my remote desktop, i did not realize my vpn was still connect, while connect to vpn i was surfing the web/playing games.

My question is would my employer able to see what I was doing playing games, what pages i went to on the web etc. since i was connected through cisco vpn.

What I heard was if it was using split tunneling they wouldn't see anything only the traffic through internal stuff. If it was not using split and it was going through their network completely then they would be able to track what i am doing on my personal computer. If that is true how do i check if it is using split tunneling or not?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Netman70 replied 9 months ago.

Netman70 :

Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Netman70 :

If you are on split tunnel the internet browsing is hidden from the VPN server. So, in split tunneling the internet browsing cannot be tracked.
You cannot tell whether it is a split tunneling by looking at the IP address.
If you can browse internet without being connected to VPN then it means that the VPN does not interfere with internet browsing. But if VPN is must for internet browsing then there is every possibility that VPN is tracking your browsing information.

Netman70 :

There is one possible way by which you can guess whether your browsing information is tracked or not. If there are any blocked sites by the proxy then this method might work for you.

If you can open the blocked the sites when you are connected to VPN then it is possible that VPN is not tracking any information but if you are unable to open the blocked sites when you are connected to the VPN then it is confirmed that the VPN is tracking your browsing information.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

let me read your answer thanks

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i do not have a blocked site

Customer:

no site is blocked

Customer:

so i can not tell using that method

Netman70 :

No that method will not work for you, Facebook isnt blocked?

Customer:

nop

Customer:

when i am working at my work computer at work

Customer:

when it is connected lan and when wifi is turned off i believe youtube and facebook is blocked but when i turn on wifi it is no longer blocked

Customer:

but i dont think that has anything to do with vpn

Netman70 :

Hmm well if they dont block website that are a potential threat then I wouldnt be worrried about them being concerened about your internet browsing..:)

Customer:

so i just need to figure out if it is split tunneling if it is then they wouldnt be able to see anything

Customer:

i want to be sure hm...

Netman70 :

A lot of companies dont allow split tunneling because it is less secure but if they dont block any websites then they might not care

Customer:

tell me if this is another way.. when i go to whatismyip.com it shows my ip

Customer:

when i connect to vpn it still says my ip

Customer:

does that mean it is split?

Netman70 :

Then that shows that traffice is going thru your isp and not thru your vpn

Netman70 :

Yes that shows you that it is split

Customer:

yea both ip says the same when connect or not connected

Netman70 :

Cool then they are using split tunneling

Netman70 :

They prob dont have the bandwidth to support non split

Customer:

yea we are not that big in size

Netman70 :

That would explain it then.

Customer:

so if they dont block facebook they probably dont care?

Netman70 :

Correct

Customer:

is there another way to tell you can think of?

Netman70 :

using the www.whatismyip.com is the easiest way to tell

Customer:

ok sounds good

Customer:

thanks!

Netman70 :

Your welcome, Have a good day and Thanks for iusing Justanswer!

Netman70, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: I have 5 yrs experience working in IT