ITguy1978
ITguy1978, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment
75720841

just downloaded Ubuntus iso download to put on dvd...also

just downloaded Ubuntu's iso download to put on dvd...also downloaded imgburn...

when I tried to put iso file on dvd, imgburn got as far as writing leadin, and stopped doing anything...after looking online, it says writing leadin should on take a few seconds not several minutes...what do I do to get this iso file to download on dvd?
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with this.
Have you first tried downloading ubuntu iso to your PC, prior to burning it. Or are you trying to burn the download directly to disk?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have the Ubuntu ISO downloaded to my pc...yes I downloaded this prior to trying to burn it...then I downloaded imgburn, then tried to use imgburn to copy to dvd

You need to choose the "burn image" or "write image" option in your burning software and then choose the file. If you are getting this fail with that selected, you might consider trying the Free ISO burner. I can point you too that download if you would like.
http://www.freeisoburner.com/ the program is sound but the site has those download options that try and get you to click on their button instead, so make sure you pay attention to which download button you are using.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should I just cancel burn on imgburn and delete imgburn from my pc first, then download free iso burner you speak of...if so, where is free iso burner download located
If you are replacing your existing operating system with Ubuntu, then you don't have to worry about deleting imgburn, you can just download it from http://www.freeisoburner.com/ look at the bottom of the site. It has a blue link that will take you to the download. Also have you used Ubuntu before? Its a windows similar interface, so if not the transition won't be too much of a stretch.
Do you need instructions for ISO Burner? Or have you figured it out already?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have not used Ubuntu before...was told it can be used without a hard drive in a computer [by booting from cd]...that's what I'm trying to do for laptop with bad hard drive, remove hard drive and try to use Ubuntu downloaded dvd
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have downloaded free iso burner, and trying to burn dvd of Ubuntu iso...when I clicked 'burn', it said initializing, then writing iso image...but nothing else has happened...I know that the Ubuntu download is something like 700+ MB...will this writing take a while, or should it be fairly quick?
You will only have the ability to surf the internet, you will not be able to store any data at all. Unless you use an external, or thumb drive. Ubuntu is a large ISO that is why you needed the blank DVD. Depending on your DVD writers speed it could take some time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

when I hover cursor over iso burner window, I have an hour glass...does that mean the free iso burner is writing to dvd...and just surfing internet is all I want to try to do with laptop...unless I decide to save anything, then I'd us usb stick...right

That should be correct, last time I burned an Ubuntu ISO, I remember it taking some time, although I was using a slow burner. Is your PC burner making any sounds, or is it quiet?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it seems that I can't really hear anything from burner, just normal sounds from pc...I already had the dvd in pc when I started writing...should I start over...it is a dvd-rw in pc

You should be able to hear the DVD Burner doing something, if it is silent then, I am thinking it isn't working. Have you used the burner before?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes used and replaced several burners
If the Burner is silent then I would certainly consider restarting since its a DVD-RW I would also consider rebooting my PC just as a matter of principle. If you reboot make sure you save this web page link in favorites so you can come back to here after your pc comes back up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just rebooted pc...I played a cd and it did fine, so is there a way to check/troubleshoot burner just to be sure burner is ok...
By burning a disk, that is the only check I am aware of. Now that you have rebooted try to burn the iso again. Let me know if it is successful.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
trying again...Free ISO bURNER window is open...it says "initialize..." and says "starting to write ISO image..." just like before...
there is the hour glass where cursor would be when I hover curso over window just like before...it seems that the hour glass would suggest that it is doing 'something', wouldn't it?...
You are correct that the hour glass does say that the program is working, but we will have to see, I still think you should at the very least hear the DVD burner, spinning. Let me know if it finishes.
Now just to clarify, you did select your drive when initiating the ISO burn correct? I just want to make sure that if you have more than one drive on the PC you are using that you didn't accidentally select the other drive. An easy mistake to make, although the program should have given an error if the drive was empty.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I only have [1] drive on pc for this...also, I let it [burn action for Ubuntu] run all night...when I checked this morning, it hadn't finished [thought I might have been impatient yesterday]...

I restored my pc to an earlier time, and am getting ready to download freeimgburn and Ubuntu again...but this time, I think I'll try downloading Ubuntu to a USB stick and see what happens...

any suggestions...

I was concerned as well, the Burner not making sounds wasn't a great sign. I would make sure and check to see that I had the most updated drivers for that device. As far as advice for the bootable thumb drive. Make sure it is at least a 2 gig. If you have not already found the link. Here it is http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows Keep me posted, and if you need any support on this let me know.

ITguy1978, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yep, I checked drivers first thing this morning, and it said no better match found...
I also have a DELL Dimension 8100 that I will probably take burner out of and put in this pc...just want to be sure this burner is bad first...

I have a 8-GB USB STICK that I'm going to use...

will let you know results ASAP...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure 'which' Linux Distribution to use
I would go with the extended support option 12.04. Do make sure that that you download the desktop version and choose 32 bit or 64 bit based on what your pc is. You don't want to download a 32 bit if your pc is a 64 bit. It won't work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do I make sure what 'bit' my pc is...
Click start, then locate my computer right click on it and go to properties. If you do not see x64 listed under system your running 32 bit. If you can't start it, then tell me what make and model it is. I'll look it up and we will check it out that way.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok...says done...I looked on drive, and is the 'WUBI' IT?
If you followed the steps in the link. You should be ready to make sure the pc will boot from the thumb drive at start up and give it a test run.
Are you familiar with changing the boot order in your bios? If so just make sure that its set to boot from your USB. Let me know I'm standing by to see if we were successful.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well, after all of this, I can't find power cord for the laptop that I'm wanting to do this to...it is an older Toshiba Satellite L305D laptop, which hasn't been used in couple years...was told the motherboard might be bad in it...I was going to remove hard drive and see if this Ubuntu would make it work...guess I'm going to have to buy a power cord before I can go any further... :-(
Just my two cents, but if you believe the motherboard is bad, it may not be worth spending money on a power cord unless you are comfortable replacing the motherboard yourself. On a PC it really isn't all that difficult, but for a laptop the technical difficulty level goes up significantly. If you can borrow a power-cord, or find one very cheap it would be different. With that being said, please remember to rate my service. If you are not satisfied with my help I'll be happy to continue working on this with you, until you are satisfied. Also come back to this thread or request me when you are ready to attempt to boot from usb. I will provide support if you need any.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there a specific power cord for this laptop, or is there maybe a universal cord that might be cheaper...and
...is motherboard expensive for this laptop...how much, do you have any idea...
Here is an adapter on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L305D-S5934-Replacement-Adapter/dp/B004AUPSGW

I'm checking out the motherboard now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271177503389?lpid=82

http://www.mrsparepartsonline.com/motherboards/toshiba-satellite-l305d-s5889-l305d-s5895-amd-motherboard-v000138350/?gclid=CPn_vpWWmboCFSgS7AodLkwAYQ

The adapter isn't expensive so you are in luck. Then you could check to see before spending the money on a motherboard.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
Just checking in too see how everything was going?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for checking back with me...I have been busy with other duties over the past couple days...still have not found/borrowed/bought power cord, wanting to find one to borrow first before spending money on one as you suggested...seems Toshiba laptops are not too popular in my realm of peers...anyway, still looking...very possible that I'll be getting back with you in near future once I've found cord...thanks again for your time and patience...
I understand completely I'll be here if you need anything.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, got charger/power cord...charged battery...pushed power button, but wouldn't turn on...well actually the light would come on, and go instantly off...I'm leaning toward an overheated motherboard, which I'll be attempting to replace...but before I go that route, I read online where someone had posted same problem, and before replacing motherboard, he found that DVD/CD "optical drive was bad and shortening the motherboard"...he said that before jumping to the conclusion that the motherboard is bad, remove the optical drive and try turning on laptop without it in laptop... so I figure what the heck...why not give it a shot...

after searching, I finally found screw for optical drive under the memory compartment...I took optical drive out, and, of course didn't help...then removed hard drive too and tried again...didn't help...with both optical drive and hard drive out, when I pushed power button, I could see a light blink underneath the 'Q', 'W', 'A', 'S' keys...don't know if that means anything or not...

YOu have no hard drive in it won't boot up it should error out. So Turning it on won't matter. I would imagine there is an led light that was blocked by the drives being in place. With them out you can see it, but with them in it was blocked. I have to give you props however most people would simply go buy a new one. Your tenacity for sticking with this, and testing all these troubleshooting possibilities, I'm not worried that if you choose to replace the motherboard that it will be beyond your skill.
With regards XXXXX XXXXX lights and beeps they can also be error codes but in this case the error code would be telling you the harddrive wasn't working. If that was the case.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah, the blinking light is actually the CAPS light at CAPS button that I was seeing...I've removed both, hard drive and optical drive [still out], plus battery and just using power cord and charger...also removed each ram card one at a time to see if that made any difference, which it did not...so...I guess the motherboard it is, unless you can think of anything else...

[I'm disabled, and have plenty of time on my hands, plus cannot stand to not be able to do something, hard headed I guess...ie...get this laptop working]...I've been messing with pcs, both desktop and laptop every since I have been unable to work, with about a 95% success rate, thanks to a lot of help from experts like you on just answers...THANKS TO ALL EXPERTS...I will be changing out the motherboard myself...if I mess anything up, lesson learned...but I've got to try...either way, success or failure, I can't afford a new laptop, and this one isn't any good the way it is, so if I can't fix it, no big loss...Thanks again...
No I am pretty sure its the motherboard. No worries ebay is a good place for spare used parts, and tiger direct.com and newegg.com are decent places to find new ones that fairly priced. If you sign up for their emails you get discount codes for parts randomly as well. I'm happy to help anytime, let me know if you need anything.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've heard that motherboard has to be exact replacement, 'vooo138200'...[said Toshiba put several different motherboards in L305D]...is this a 'must'?...
You have to stay within certain requirements, they call them form factors, so long as you stay within the requirements of that device you should be fine. So the tosiba had 3 different motherboards then you should be able to use any of the three. The only time this isn't true is if they upgrade from one year to the next, and use a different case to house them. I do not believe this is the case for that model.
ITguy1978, Computer Support Specialist