ITguy1978
ITguy1978, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment
75720841

Chat preferred, Im on the computer now. Thanks

Chat preferred, I'm on the computer now. Thanks Windows vista When i try to connect it says "the settings saved on this computer for the network does not match the requirements of the network" how can i fix this

I was actually online, then I uninstalled the avg toolbar and now I get that message

Category: Networking
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 11 months ago.

ITguy1978 :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with this issue.

Customer:

hi jeff

ITguy1978 :

Hello sorry for your troubles. DO you need me to give you one step at a time or just list the steps for you.

ITguy1978 :

?

Customer:

you can list and i'll try them

Customer:

brb

ITguy1978 :

May I assume that you are connecting with a wireless adapter?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i mentioned in my post that it was online, then i unitstalled the avg toobar and now it wont go online

ITguy1978 :

And what type of internet service do you have.

Customer:

through comcast

Customer:

im on it now on my computer. the one i can't get online is my mom's, she doesn't live here

Customer:

everything else in the house is online

ITguy1978 :

Outstanding, the easiest fix here will be to just restore the pc to an earlier point.

ITguy1978 :

That is fast simple and should work.

Customer:

really?

ITguy1978 :

Well it was working prior to the point that you uninstalled the toolbar. So restoring to a point prior to that time we will be back tracking to the point where it still worked.

ITguy1978 :

If it does not then it means we have some trouble shooting to do.

Customer:

will it put the toolbar back?

ITguy1978 :

Yes it will, and you will need to uninstall it again.

Customer:

ok, let me try

ITguy1978 :

however, if the problem comes back after you uninstall it.

ITguy1978 :

the second time, then we know that it is making changes to your setup.

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

If it doesn't it could have been a fluke.

ITguy1978 :

Do you need assistance with the restore?

Customer:

yes

ITguy1978 :

Outstanding

ITguy1978 :

Navigate to the Start , All Programs ,Accessories, System Tools

ITguy1978 :

Then

ITguy1978 :

click System Restore

ITguy1978 :

when you are there you should see a list of restore points. Choose one far enough back that you know the internet was working.

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

It will take a few minutes to run

ITguy1978 :

Make sure you do not accidentally turn it off during this time. And that it does not lose power.

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

Log in and try and connect. You can also just disable the toolbar if you would like rather than uninstall it. (These are the simplest choices that will give you the least headache, and get you back online the fastest)

Customer:

still working

ITguy1978 :

No worries, I'm here till its fixed.

Customer:

thx

Customer:

ok, it didn't work, still getting the same message

ITguy1978 :

Alright, that is interesting. It also doesn't bode well, if the restore didn't solve the issue, we might be looking at a possible hardware failure. But lets go ahead and check a couple things before we jump to that conclusion.

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

Click on start button->Control panel-> Network and Sharing Center.

ITguy1978 :

Once the Network and Sharing Center is open, click on the link "Manage Wireless Network

Customer:

network and internet?

ITguy1978 :

Yes

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

are you at manage wireless networks?

Customer:

yes

ITguy1978 :

Once you open the Wireless Network Manager, right click on the network with the incorrect settings then select the option remove network.

ITguy1978 :

Once the network profile is deleted, Windows Vista will ask for the new settings the next time you try to connect to the wireless network and you should be able to connect without any problems.

Customer:

ok

ITguy1978 :

Or at least that is the goal, if nothing else is wrong.

Customer:

when i click select network to connect to, it's not showing that network

ITguy1978 :

is their a refresh icon?

Customer:

yes, nothing comes up

ITguy1978 :

Do you see any wireless networks?

Customer:

no

ITguy1978 :

what type of computer is this?

Customer:

inspiron

ITguy1978 :

Do you have a wireless button on your keyboard? Possible f12 key?

ITguy1978 :

might show a little radio looking tower....might have a light on it?

Customer:

f2, has a little tower on it with waves coming from it

ITguy1978 :

Alright, if you press that what happens?

ITguy1978 :

Do any wireless networks appear? do you see a notification that wireless in enabled?

Customer:

it toggles in on and off, i toggled it on and went to the wireless network which now shows, but still gives me the original error message

ITguy1978 :

You removed the network connection it had prior correct? If not lets go back and remove it again. Then see if it comes back up.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Ok, got it...

Customer:

it's on

ITguy1978 :

By removing the network from this area, it loses any settings associated with it. Then by manually connecting to it you can enter the network password XXXXX you have one and attempt to reconnect. Do you have a password XXXXX with your network? (Don't tell me what it is just curious)

ITguy1978 :

Sweetness

Customer:

I removed the other 4 networks she had on there

Customer:

lol

ITguy1978 :

So we are cooking with gas now! Its up?

Customer:

Yes, thanks...I'll be rating now. Appreciate your time.

ITguy1978 :

Your very welcome, remember me next time you have an issue, and I will be happy to help you. Have a wonderful evening!

Customer:

you too. Now the avg toolbar won't uninstall...this thing is giving me a headache

ITguy1978 :

Have you considered just deactivating it under addons?

Customer:

i can try that thanks

ITguy1978, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Degrees: IT/Networking, second degree in process Business/ProjectManagment
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Have a great evening.