Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

hi, for my small business.. I just switched ISP... from att

hi, for my small business.. I just switched ISP... from att to Charter cable..
my current setup (from ATT) modem > switch > 10 wired computers + 2 wired printers, 1 credit card machine
Comcast sold me a static IP with their service
I plan in using wireless connections (google tv, ipad, iphone, etc)
the installer said I need a wireless router to assign the static IP address to
should I buy a wireless router then change to setup to modem -> wireless router > switch?
do I need to make any other changes

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist. Your installer is correct. If your new cable modem isn't a combo unit that provides wireless you will need to purchase a wireless router. You are correct in your planned configuration modem > router > switch > PCs & printers. When you configure your router you'll have an option for connection type to assign the static IP address from the cable company.

As well as your static IP address the cable company should also give you the information for subnet mask, default gateway and your DNS server IP addresses.

.

I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving me a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.