Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

Hi Jason, I moved the laptop downstairs and for about 15mins

Hi Jason,
I moved the laptop downstairs and for about 15mins it worked fine, then the signal dropped out. I logged off, switched off and turned back on. No network was found. I also tried it in another room in the house, same problem. Can you take another look please?

Hello again,

When you are logged off, can you still see the signal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As in, when I have closed any internet browser?

On the top right of your screen, for your wireless icon, how many bars do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 3 out of 4. When I was downstairs, I had 4, then suddenly I had none. I clicked on the wireless icon, and it asked me to enter the password XXXXX connect to the network. I entered the password XXXXX in seeking the connection it timed out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it perhaps something to do with the compatibility of the router and this laptop? Occasionally the others get blackouts but not for long, the connection always returns. This doesn't happen for me!

If you do not have any bars, that means that your computer's wireless network card does not have strong enough signal.

Are there any wireless telephones in your house near the router at all? Any wireless phones can cause such types of problems. You want to make sure that the phones are no where near the router, computer, or in between the two.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only various mobile phones, and at the moment there is only one in the house. Doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else. Also my other laptop which is the same age as this, has no problem connecting to the internet anywhere in the house. Maybe there's an issue with the network card in my computer?

Thank you for the update.

You may wish to consider using a usb wifi adapter, similar to the one found here:

That device will serve you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jason, will try that. So it sounds like the network card in my laptop isn't strong and I need to boost it with this device. Thanks for your help.