LKT
LKT, Network Admin
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

I rest my eng6580 to default now I can not connect To the

I reset my Motorola sbg6580 to default now I can not connect To the internet, Comcast techs can not figure out the problem, can anyone give me some advice.. Thanks Chuck

LKT :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer

LKT :

How are you trying to access the internet? Did you set up the wireless network when you did a factory default? Do the wired connections work on the modem?

Customer:

Wired to. Connect the modem has a built-in wifi

LKT :

The wired connection does not work for you? How are you currently connected to the internet?

Customer:

I'm not using my cell to chat , just have done a factory defult reason I forgotten my password XXXXX I can't connect to internet

LKT :

Tell me which lights on the front are on. Also, tell me which port your computer is connected to on the modem.

Customer:

The wifi working but configuration page says acess denied for internet

LKT :

Which password XXXXX you forgotten? When you do a default on the modem, the username and password XXXXX:

Username: admin
Password: motorla

Customer:

All lights on internet light blinking. port ?

LKT :

Which lights on the front of the modem are on, how many. ON the back of the modem, which wired ethernet port is it using, is the light on?

Customer:

4lights on plus internet light blinking port 1on the modem

LKT :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are the 4 lights and which four of the light are they from this list:

Full Size Image

Customer:

All lights green , #1-3 and 5 are on 4 blinking

LKT :

And its been like that since you put it back to default settings?

Customer:

Yes

LKT :

I see, so what prompted the restore to default?

Customer:

I forgotten my user name and password

LKT :

Ah, thats right you told me. Can I have you do another default settings on the modem for me please? Use the push button in the back below the usb connection port.

Customer:

Ok there no usb connection port, nobubutton just a pin hole

Customer:

Ok done

LKT :

Let me know which lights you have now

Customer:

All lights internet light blinking

LKT :

Light #4 from the picture above?

Customer:

Yes

LKT :

Let me know if it goes solid.

Customer:

That's the one of the problem just stay blinking for 2 days now

LKT :

What did the comcast folks tell you?

Customer:

Its the modem not the line

LKT :

I see, can't they just you out a new one? I was going to suggest it was one of two things, one that its a bad modem, or two a bad line.

LKT :

Because either the modem is not getting the correct settings to make a good connection (meaning a bad line), or the modem is getting the settings but still cannot connect (bad modem). What would make me lean to say bad modem is the fact that lights 1-3 are on.

Customer:

Yes but I've purchased this modern 4 months ago every thing where fine till I reset it

LKT :

I understand, but thats the most likely time for the modem to go bad when there is a sudden configuration change like that. If you can return the modem since its only 4 months old. When you first set it up 4 months ago, you didn't have to call comcast to activate the modem on their end?

Customer:

Also just keep rebooting itself

LKT :

Ahh, yeah that sounds like a bad modem. Try returning it from where you bought it.

Customer:

Yes

LKT :

Well not necessarily a "bad" modem just a modem that is corrupt, configuration wise.

Customer:

Thanks

LKT :

You are welcome. Best of luck

LKT :

If you have a moment please rate me positively with the smileys below. Thanks, goodnight.