LKT
LKT, Network Admin
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications

I currently have a 50mb/5mb up connection that has a lot of

I currently have a 50mb/5mb up connection that has a lot of random packet loss making my online gaming almost impossible. My question is it possible for me to get DSL from frontier a 12mb/2mb connection and team it with my cable connection that is having the packet loss problem? I want to combine the two so I can game without packet loss. Frontiers dls connection is much slower and becomes unstable in peak hours so would it fix my issue to combine the connections if possible?
Category: Networking
Expert:  LKT replied 10 months ago.

LKT :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

LKT :

If you could combine both these internet connections, the problem would not be solved because when you "load-balance" on 2 or more ISPs it would do so on a round-robin basis, meaning a "stream" with a certain destination would always use only one link at a time.

LKT :

It would be best for you to call your ISP to check your line, there should not be that much packet loss on your line that you cannot game. It is likely the line needs to be fixed. Also, if this does not fix the issue, try looking into business class internet from that same services provider as they will need to maintain a higher baseline of quality.

LKT :

Let me know any questions you have that I can answer or help clarify. Thanks.

Customer:

Well they replaced the drop from the pole already and I still get anywhere from 2-15% packet loss for 5 months now and they keep telling me they are looking into the problem, the net package I have now is business class as well. So I have no idea what to do.

LKT :

Oh. I am sorry to hear that. Are you using a VPN or proxy?

Customer:

Nope, would that help at all?

LKT :

Not really, I was checking because it could be a source of the packet loss depending on the provider of VPN.

LKT :

Are you using wireless for the gaming pc?

Customer:

I'm not sure how to get them to fix it, they have replaced the line already but 5 months and still no fix. It's random, I can go a few hours with very few packets lost but sometimes I can't even go a few seconds. I run a continous ping to google.com to watch it while I do anything and I notice it showing "Timed out" etc...

Customer:

Wired

LKT :

Is it a ISP supplied router?

Customer:

I have swapped modems, both were surfboards though so is it even a possibility that surfboard modems are my source of the problem? Bot are docsis 3.0s

Customer:

No

Customer:

Here is a recent ping from last night while I was playing

Customer:

Ping statistics for 74.125.225.33:
Packets: Sent = 21, Received = 17, Lost = 4 (19% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 66ms, Average = 48ms
Control-C

Customer:

Which means in game I couldnt even move for several seconds at a time, I checked the logs on my modem too and I get a lot of t4 timeout errors

LKT :

How long has this been like this?

Customer:

4 months or so

LKT :

Since you've had the connection?

Customer:

Since I upgraded to docsis 3.0 I guess

Customer:

Speeds were slow before but they fixed something at the pole and it went higher speed but then I switched to docsis 3.0 business package internet and after a few weeks I noticed this packet loss killing my games

LKT :

Ah, have you tried a different brand? It may be the docsis is not "fully" compatible with your ISP and their signaling methods, which would explain the t4 timeouts.

Customer:

They claim others with surfboards aren't reporting problems but a lot of average internet users wont even notice packet loss

LKT :

That's true, or the contribute the problem to something else.

Customer:

So you think its a possibility that that modem for some reason is causing the packets to drop? They show upstream out of range errors or something.

Customer:

"I show some individual modem levels have spiked in regards XXXXX XXXXX upstream error correction, etc." That was their response after the problem started happening again, I had a good week or so where it wasnt too bad but came back.

LKT :

It's the possibility I would troubleshoot first knowing the loss you are getting with the error code of t4 (basically a miscommunication between ISP and modem) and the timing of the loss.

Customer:

The t4 timeouts they told me mean nothing but I'd think they have something to do with it considering it seems to pop that error when I have the packet loss.

LKT :

Hmm, well thats weird. Why wouldn't the error matter. Have you looked up the error code. You can see them here: http://volpefirm.com/docsis_timout_descriptions/

LKT :

So at some point the modem and the CMTS stop speaking to one another.

Customer:

Which causes the packet loss right

LKT :

Yes

Customer:

I am now reading on forums about surfboards having some kind of checked box for "IP Flood detection" and unchecking that is helping people with packet loss so I guess I can try it

Customer:

when I get home

LKT :

Doesn't hurt to give that a shot.

Customer:

Alright, I will try that and maybe a different rental modem from them and let you know.

Customer:

Thanks

LKT :

You are welcome. Best of luck!

LKT :

If you have a moment please use the smileys below to rate me positively. Thank you.

LKT, Network Admin
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
Expert:  LKT replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.