Marco
Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.
72952988

My internet icon for my apple desktop doesnt connect me to

My internet icon for my apple desktop doesn't connect me to the internet any longer. What's up with that?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Marco replied 1 year ago.

Marco :

Hi there,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue

Marco :

Do you have any other devices that are connecting to the Internet? I want to confirm that the actual internet is working.

Customer:

I am sitting at a PC, chatting with you on the same network that I want to use on my apple....about 2 feet away.

Customer:

If it helps any....a technician from my provider changed our wireless name and PW recently. Also, the last time I tried to follow a link on e-mail (yes, that is working) it won't take me there.

Marco :

ok

Marco :

can you check on your apple desktop if it's connecting to the same wireless network

Customer:

Tell me how

Marco :

what apple desktop do you have

Customer:

Mac OS X version 10.7.5....it is an older one that has been upgraded.....doesn't have many hours on it, though.

Marco :

can you click on the applications folder

Customer:

Done.

Marco :

ok do you see system preferences

Customer:

Yes

Marco :

or Internet Connect?

Marco :

ok click on that

Marco :

then select network

Customer:

OK

Customer:

It says it is connected.....maybe not right id and pw?

Marco :

yes

Marco :

ifyou click on airport

Marco :

and in the network section what is the name of the network?

Customer:

next to search domains it says: gateway.2wire.net

Customer:

is that what you need?

Marco :

no

Marco :

do you see an icon called aiport?

Customer:

no

Marco :

ok what do you see at the moment

Marco :

here's some instructions with images that might help: <click here>

Customer:

I am looking at the menu frame that says Network at the top....below it says Location: and in the dropdown box the options are automatic and edit locations....it also says that Ethernet AND Wi-Fi are connected ( as they should be) ....to the right it says: Status and gives the ip address....more stuff below...

Marco :

ok for wi-fi

Marco :

click on that

Customer:

OK...now it says "No Network Selected."

Marco :

ok select the network from the list

Customer:

though it IS on....

Customer:

wow, I think you are good.......and I am ridiculously impaired. I'll see if it all works, now. Still doesn't connect me to the Safari browser

Marco :

did you enter the password?

Marco :

the new one?

Customer:

yes

Marco :

for the status does it say connect Wi-Fi is connected to xxx and has the IP address xxx?

Customer:

It does

Customer:

Should the ip address be the same as my password?

Customer:

...it is not

Marco :

no it's a number

Marco :

can you tell me what it is?

Customer:

my pw is a number: XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Customer:

the ip address is 192.168.1.79

Marco :

ok that ip address looks right

Marco :

on the computer you're using to chat

Marco :

can you click start

Marco :

then in the search box type cmd

Customer:

done...what next?

Marco :

type ipconfig

Marco :

and press enter

Customer:

done

Marco :

does it return with a list with ip address

Marco :

that is similar to the one on the apple?

Customer:

yes, not identical #

Customer:

last two digits are .77

Marco :

yes that's fine

Marco :

that means it is connected to the wireless router

Marco :

can you now type:
ping 192.168.1.79

Customer:

sent 4 received 4 lost 0

Marco :

ok

Marco :

can you try safari again

Marco :

it should should on the mac

Customer:

no connection to internet.....but the Ethernet should be working....and is not connecting.....it should be hard wired as well as wireless

Marco :

no it should work on wireless

Marco :

have you tried hard wired?

Customer:

When I try a link to another site on my e-mail it says that "no associated application can be found."

Customer:

The unit has been plugged into the internet connection this whole time.

Marco :

what about if just using safari does that work?

Customer:

Pardon?

Marco :

you mentioned that safari was not working on the apple desktop

Marco :

does it work now?

Customer:

Nothing comes up with Safari....no connection to it on the MAC

Marco :

when you mean no connection

Customer:

...just e-mail service that does not interface with the internet

Marco :

when you type www.google.com

Marco :

nothing comes up?

Customer:

there is no place to type in that information as the link to a browser does not come up

Marco :

did you click on the safari icon?

Marco :

rather than the link in your email

Marco :

it looks like a compass

Customer:

That is what I have been clicking the whole time. I get to the e-mail place by clicking on the stamp.

Marco :

not sure why you are getting the email place?

Customer:

If I can get e-mail, doesn't that mean that I am connected? There is something that is keeping me from getting to the internet browser.

Marco :

we just need to test the basics first

Marco :

by opening safari directly and entering the url www.google.com

Customer:

I click the compass and get no response. I click the stamp and get my e-mail connection

Marco :

are you able to restart the mac

Customer:

How do you open Safari directly? Ok I will turn it off. I did and then turned it back on.....same story.

Marco :

the compass opens safari directly

Customer:

I have been attempting to open Safari directly this whole time by clicking on the compass. Nothing happens. I have now completely shut down the computer......it has come back up.....and now for some reason Safari DOES work! Yea! Thank you!

Marco, IT Consultant
Experience: 10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.