Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking

I have a LENOVO MT 3698-4SU. Can I purchase a cellular WAN

I have a LENOVO MT 3698-4SU. Can I purchase a cellular WAN card to install that will work with Verizon's 4G network? e.g. does the Gobi 4000 do that?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Neither of these will work with Verizon.

You need the Verizon LG VL600 4G LTE USB AirCard Clean ESN VL-600

This you use via the USB port of the computer.

You can purchase it from here

Click Me To View

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Of course there are USB devices that do that. In fact I already own Verizon's Jetpack hotspot device. That's what I'm trying to get rid of. I have too many little gadgets to carry around. The reason I purchased the LENOVO in the first place was to eliminate much of that. It was supposed to have a built in cellular modem. The sales add misled me on the model number. Apparently there is a Gobi 4000 internal modem made just for Lenovo and Verizon. It appears to be available installed in this Lenovo machine, but that model number costs an extra $500. With great difficulty I found this in the wee hours of the morning. Now I need to know if this will work in the internal modem slot of my Lenovo MT 3698-4SU since that info is missing from this particular web page. If yes, then do I need a separate antenna kit and where can I get it? Can you find out for me? I have no contacts inside IBM or Lenovo.

I do not want another USB or external device to juggle.

Thank you Mike

No it cannot. The only expansion slot it has is for GSM networks, as it can take a SIM card.

This would have been what the sales person was referring to, but the Gobi cannot work with this Lenovo sorry, which is why I recommended the USB device, as it is the only way to get you onto the CDMA network apart from a Mifi device such as the Jetpack app you have.

Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, OK, but I really don't understand your answer, and I'm not convinced.

The Gobi 4000 Verizon card for which I sent you the link has the identical radio specs to the Jetpack 5510L that I currently own. The Gobi spec page clearly says that it is designed for the Verizon 4G LTE network and that it supports CDMA on the precise same frequencies as the JetPack. Therefore as far as I can tell the only reason it wouldn't work is if you could not plug it into the LENOVO PC. But the Lenovo service video found here:

(On the left menu select "Tablet FRU Videos:" then "FRU Service: Wireless WAN") clearly shows the remove/replace of an internal WWAN modem that looks identical to the Gobi 4000.

It sure looks to me like it ought to work, but you are the expert, and I'm not interested in arguing. I just want to be absolutely sure before I give up.

I am going with the Lenovos Hardware Compatability, and it is only compatable with the below models.

ThinkPad T430
ThinkPad T430i
ThinkPad T430s
ThinkPad T430si
ThinkPad X230

This is what I need to go by Mike. It is not rated to work with the MT 3698-4SU

This is in addition to the specifications for this device not listing a WWAN expansion slot but only a GSM SIM card.

One thing, can you not use it via your Smartphone and turn that into a wireless hotspot? If you tell me the make and model of it, I can tell you how.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, Richard. I will accept your answer since it is the official one from IBM. I did not find the compatibility chart that you mention, so I didn't reach the same conclusion as you, but I'm still suspicious.

Yes, I can get connectivity via my smart phone or via the Jetpack or even via WiFi at Starbucks, but that's not what I want. I'm one of those old time PhD physicists who don't like to take no for an answer when they want something to work. You, on the other hand, can't afford to put your company in a position of speculating on something that isn't specifically supported.

Nevertheless, it is most likely that the reason the Gobi 4000 for Verizon is on the compatibility list for those other machines and not for mine is because the Gobi was introduced to the market about 2 years before my PC was. The market introduction dates are clear from the spec sheets. Now, if I were an engineering manager at IBM, and my team had already invented a WWAN modem that worked perfectly well for a given task, I would never allow them to reinvent it just because we came out with a newer PC. Instead I would insist that the PC design team make sure my existing modem fits into their new PC. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you can just plug this modem into the LENOVO and it will work. The question is, am I willing to bet $170 to try it? You can buy a lot of donuts for $170. So if I can't find someone with more expertise than I have in this particular discipline (cellular radio) who agrees with me, then I probably will not give Lenovo another $170 of my money, but I will always wonder if I could not have achieved telecommunications nirvana by just spending that $170.

That's why I'm being stubborn. I'm not questioning your expertise. But I hate being the victim of corporate maneuvering to ensure they don't get sued for saying something wrong or of being charged $500 when $170 would do the trick.

Have a good day, and don't get too frustrated by old hackers like me. "You done good." Go ahead and send me your bill. (Preferably < $170 :-) ).