Randy
Randy, Network Support Specialist
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist

Cant connect my home wifi to my att htc one x. I have a d-link

Can't connect my home wifi to my att htc one x. I have a d-link with wpa encrypted and a password. I think I can connect just using the pw, right? But it just keeps saying authenticating...scanning...disconnected...turning on...turning off. I have a strong signal. I read online that this phone has had problems picking up a wireless signal. Can you help?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.

Randy :

Hi,My name isXXXXX will assist you.

Randy :

I am sorry that you are having problems connecting the HTC to your wi fi,

Randy :

I will do my best to help you get it connected.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, missed the chat

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
No problem,

I can check the settlings of your router and help you get the phone connected with a screen share.

Click the following link: http://www.join.me- On the join me page, click the Orange Circle with the play button in the box that says SHARE or START MEETING.When the download is finished click on it and allow the remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please reply to me with the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there any way we can do it w/o sharing my screen. Nothing against you, but I'm pretty cautious about that stuff. I do know my encryption code (64 digit) and the password XXXXX using w/ my dlink.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
I completely understand, the best option will be to turn the security off on the router for a few minutes and see if the HTC will connect, if it does then you will know that it is a problem with the security key or the encryption type, I have set the security to a different encryption and they connect. Do you know how to access the router settings interface screen?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I do...Ok, I'll try that.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good, it will probably work best with a 10 digit/character password XXXXX of the 64. The best option will be WPA. Let me know if it works or if you need anything.

Yours will look similar to this, depending on your router model.

Step 1
Open a web browser and type the IP address of the DIR series router into the address bar (default is http://192.168.0.1).

Step 2 The default username is admin (all lower case) and the default password XXXXX XXXXX (nothing). Click on OK.

Step 3 Click on the Wireless tab at the top and then click on Wireless Security on the lefthand side.

Step 4 From the Wireless Security Mode section, select WPA-Personal.

Step 5 Choose your Cipher Type.

TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) provides per-packet key generation and is based on WEP.
AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) is a very secure block based encryption.

Step 6 Enter your Pre-Shared Key.

The key can contain up to 63 alphanumeric characters (any letters or numbers). It cannot be shorter than eight characters, although for proper security it needs to be of ample length and should not be a commonly known phrase.

Step 7 Click on Save Settings, at the top, to save your settings.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Did all that but still nothing. I had access from my htc one x when I took security off of my wireless. But now it's back on and it again won't work when I type in that pass phrase

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
Okay, the problem is with the passphrase, you will need to use an 8 or 10 digit/character with WPA Personal, and tkip cypher.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it's set to tkip and aes. is it the aes that's making this difficult?

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
Yes and the 64 digit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, I had tried before you sent this last message. It did work for tkip and aes. It also works for tkip only. But both seem the same as far as the signal. It will go back and forth between excellent and poor. Before I put in the access code, hor. I also took down to 10 digits.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good.Laughing Let me know if you need anything.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so why does it go back and forth betw poor and excellent? why not stay on excellent? I'm right beside the router.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
You may need to powercycle the router and reboot the phone while it is powering back up.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, I actually think I looked at it wrong...it wasn't connected, just trying to connect. When I saw it bounce from excellent to poor to excellent connection, I thot it was connected, but it actually says "authenticating..." never connected like when I had my encryption off. What about your rebooting idea. Would that help? Doesn't seem like it if it worked w/ no encryption, but I'll try anything.

Expert:  Randy replied 11 months ago.
It may help to disconnect the router power a few seconds, then reboot the phone. If it does not connect, check your router settings again to make sure they are set correctly. Sometimes when you change the password XXXXX will not save the settings the first time
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, somehow it's working now. I changed the pw to make sure I had the right one. When I did that the phone popped up a message that said wrong pw. I then put in the new pw on the phone and it suddenly said connected! And seems good! I did notice, thought, that when the phone goes to sleep that it turns off the wireless such that I have to go back in and turn it on again, but then it connects right away. Is that a battery saving feature?

Expert:  replied 11 months ago.
Thats great! The next time the HTC One connects to a previously accessed secured wireless network, you won’t be asked to enter the key or other security information again. You can set the wifi to stay on during sleep. Go to the wi fi screen then tap on your menu then advanced.
Please remember to leave a Positive Rating.
If you need more assistance please let me know.
Thank you very much!
Randy, Network Support Specialist
Experience: Information Technology Specialist