Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

I am trying to connect my 2011 Panasonic TCP42ST30 tv w/WLAN

I am trying to connect my 2011 Panasonic TCP42ST30 tv w/WLAN accessory to my acer aspire 4530 laptop w/Vista Home, so I can stream video. My TV is receiving signal from my Cisco DPC3825 router as I am listening to online radio right now. My problem is the TV can't "find" a server. I've never tried to setup a home network before so I probably did it wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

the reason for this is that the tv has limited streaming support for sources on your home network, and will only connect with a DLNA server.

p0llinate :

The problem here though is that Vista is just too old and doesn't support DLNA. Do you have another computer you can try streaming from?

p0llinate :

Or depending what content you're wanting to watch, you might try using a dedicated streaming device like an appletv, chromecast, or roku which would help you to share content on your computer to the tv, these are available for about $30-100, and would be your best bet (besides hooking the computer up to the tv directly and using the tv as a monitor) other than upgrading windows or buying a new computer.

Nathan, System Administrator
Experience: IT systems admin, network installer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the quick answer! Much appreciated!

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome! Note that if you go with the chromecast, you'll want to install google chrome as your browser for the best compatibility/control.