Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking

I have a wireless home network. Currently I have my laptop

I have a wireless home network. Currently I have my laptop and a printer attached to my network. I am trying to turn on the Printer Sharing, so my wife can print from her laptop that is now attached to my network. I don't receive any error messages when I attempt to turn on the option, but I am also not able to turn on the Printer Sharing option. Is this a printer issue or a Vista issue? Thanks.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you.

What exactly stops you from turning on the Printer Sharing option?

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried to turn on the Printer Sharing Option and it remains off.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell me please which anti virus software you are running Mark?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Did you receive my answer? Microsoft Essentials.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Only this one Mark.

Can you temporary disable it please and then try to turn on printer sharing. You can do that by doing the following.

1. Find the Security Essentials icon in your System Tray (usually it's represented by a little green house with a flag on top). Right-click it and choose Open.

2. Click the Settings tab.

3. Click Real-time protection.

4. Uncheck the box next to Turn on real-time protection (recommended).

5. Click the Save changes button.

Then turn on printer sharing.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Printer Sharing remains off.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Mark.

Is your network set as Public or Private? Public restricts Discovery and Sharing settings.. Private (Home or Work} allows full Discovery and Sharing, but is more vulnerable unless proper security is used.

Home networks are usually set as Private. Across from your Network name click Customize to change setting to Private if it is set to Public.

Then try to share the printer.

If it was already set to Private, please let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It is already set to private.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

Click start, type in ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Click on the network connection you are using, then click on Properties.

Is File and Printer sharing for MS Networks listed and checked?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't see File and Printer sharing for MS Networks listed. Under the Sharing Tab Internet Connection Sharing I see Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection. This is not checked.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier.

Go to Click Me

Click START MEETING

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

502-892-859

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Logging on now.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Done
Richard, Network Specialist
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking