LKT
LKT, Network Admin
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

What is WmiPrvSE.exe network process file for? This is viewed

What is WmiPrvSE.exe network process file for?
This is viewed on the task manager processed and will not end process.
I ask this because it is using a good amount of the computers CPU.

It this file necessary and how to end, close or delete it?

This computer is using Windows Vista.

LKT :

Hello

Customer:

I am here

LKT :

In most cases wmiprvse is a Microsoft process that runs in the background and is a safe process.

Customer:

It normally does not use that much CPU.

LKT :

It shouldn't but this means another program is using its services.

LKT :

What you will want to do is cut out your other programs one by one and check the wmiprvse service and see which program causes the usage to go down.

Customer:

I has recently re-installed to factor default so I installed Service Pack 1 thinking the same as you.

LKT :

You reinstalled the OS?

LKT :

or just updated to service pack 1?

Customer:

To factory default about 1 week ago.

Customer:

This is a HP and it has the function at computer start up.

LKT :

I see, you have the problem at the start?

Customer:

I did thuis because of an on line infection that the computer has for a on line interview.

Customer:

No, The computer ran fine for several days.

LKT :

Oh. I see. So you set it back to its defaults. Did you transfer any old files from when it was infected?

Customer:

Humm, perhaps a few days after the install, that would be a few days ago.

Customer:

Not many files.

LKT :

If any files were infected you could have transferred that infection back to your pc.

LKT :

I have a question, how much memory is the service using?

Customer:

I see you point. I also have thes files backed up on another computer but have not used them on that other cpmputer.

LKT :

Also, have you updated the computer completely since going to factory settings. There are patches that fix these kind of memory leaks.

Customer:

Probably not as the computer asked the these that I allowed(Service Pack 1) and there could be more.

LKT :

I would definitely update the pc as the very first step in troubleshooting. Vista is well known for memory leaks and Microsoft gave a lot of patches to fix em as they came up.

Customer:

What about "What you will want to do is cut out your other programs one by one and check the wmiprvse service and see which program causes the usage to go down."

LKT :

That will come after you update and if its still a problem.

Customer:

The computer is not asking for any updates at this time. so advised.

LKT :

Manually download Service Pack 2

LKT :

and install

Customer:

Ok Thanks.

LKT :

Welcome

LKT :

Let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please take a moment to rate me, thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an issue with installing Service Pack 1 on Vista. I have installed it like 7 times now and the update section on the computer will state the computer has no more update. After reboot , go to updates and the machine still wants Service Pack 1. I have updated other items today with no issues. Under MT COMPUTER Properties their is no Service Pack indicated. I do have an Redirection BOX when I open the Browser stating scan and remove Windows Vista Errors. I am sure that this wants me to buy their program, Advise..

There should not be anything from Windows Update that wants you to buy a program. This sounds like a type of malware on your computer like we discussed earlier with putting old files from an infected PC to your new installation. I advise that you get a virus scanner and run a full scan to find and remove these in safe mode. I also recommend you download and run this malware removal program:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/