jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

is a kindle an android device?

Customer Question

is a kindle an android device?
Category: Networking
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.
The Kindle Fire is a mini tablet computer version of Amazon.com's Kindle e-book reader. The Kindle Fire has a color 7-inch multi-touch display with IPS technology and runs a forked version of Google's Android operating system. The device which includes access to the Amazon Appstore, streaming movies and TV shows, and Kindle's e-books.

The first generation of Kindle Fire devices run a customized Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. The second generation Kindle Fire HD runs a customized Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My straight question was, "is a Kindle an android device" I know nothing about fire kindle. I'm trying to understand technology which is new to me

Well there is different kinds of Kindle's. There is straight EReaders that only read books purchased online. Most people have the colored screen tablet which is the Kindle Fire. So the question would be which one do you have? Is your Kindle just a white screen that you read books or is your Kindle the color screen where you can open up Apps?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote this below before you posted that last comment.

I am sorry if I have not answered your question correctly. Let me try again to see if I can redeem myself. I am sorry.

Yes the Kindle Fire does have a Google Android OS. It is not a full fledged one like you see on Android phones and full Android tablets.

Amazon keeps it dumbed down so that people stay buying through the Amazon website versus having full access to the Google Play store where you can get many free apps,.

I do believe you still can get some of those apps but it looks like they are coming from Amazon but really they are coming from Google Play.

I really hope this is not to much information. And if your left with still more questions please ask me and I will be happy to help you.
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Then mine is a straight e reader, not an android device.I needed this info so that I can identify my kindle and so get the advise I need

Would you know what your model number is?
I can give you the website that has all the information you need for your Kindle.

Or if your satisfied with my answer. Please give me a good rating. If you have more questions I would love to answer them for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The website would be useful for future reference however right now I've joined to get my kindle up and running and would appreciate directions on how to change the password XXXXX I hope therefore to be able to load my kindle with reading material to take on my trip with me.

Do you know which Kindle Model you have?
It should of been on the box or maybe on the back should be a model number.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200127470

click the link above and look at the pictures and let me know which one is yours.
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I forgot to include the model no. It is on the back and is very small and difficult to read but as far as I can make out it is

D0 1100 10 9599A 0725 FCC id ZEG 0725 input 5.25v=max500MA

When you first setup your Kindle you would have signed up for an Amazon.com account. This is the username and password that is used for your kindle. You simply join a wireless network that has Internet access. Then you can browse the store and purchase books there. There is also free books available so not all of them have a cost to them. You can also log in to the same Amazon account on the computer. You would have to change your password through the Amazon account.

I also found a quick easy manual for your kindle
http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/KindleUser%27sGuide.pdf <click Link to open document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to cancel my original username and password and substitute new ones.

Your suggestion for a quick easy manual is not working for me. I need

step by step HELP to join a new wireless network with new username and new password.

Please excuse me for replying late. We had Church this morning and a family reunion at lunch.

I will try to explain wireless networks in summary in hopes that I understand what you are trying to do. I believe you are asking me how to join different wireless networks when you go places and they have WiFi (Wireless Internet) available to connect to so you can access online resources from Amazon. If I am off base please let me know.

Wireless Networks also known as WiFi do not use a username. You usually scan for available wireless networks that may be in your area. Like hotel rooms, Some coffee shops, at home, another relatives house.

When people create a wireless network we give it a name. So you scan for what is in the area then select it then it can ask for a password if it is password protected. So who ever setup the Wifi would have the password to join to. Most hotels will have that information inside the booklet in your room or the front desk can tell you. Coffee houses tend to leave their Wifi with out a password so you just select the name and it will automatically log in.

I do need to know which Kindle from the ones below you have. The numbers you gave me in the earlier post was not a model number.
Let me know which one of these is your Kindle. Then I can provide a step by step how to use your Wireless Connection to bring up Wifi Networks and how to connect to them.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Kindle Paperwhite

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Kindle

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Kindle Touch

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Kindle Keyboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Somewhat off base. My purpose is because I have shifted to a new area and the old wfi is not efficient here. My phone has changed to Telecom and the Bigpond network will be more efficient. The technician who connected my internet left a card with two numbers on it

Wireless Network Name (SSID) BigPond42F567

Wireless Security Key (WPA) F8113F8F00

The first Kindle looks like mine. The Kindle PaperwhiteKindle

Hope we are getting somewhere now.

1. From Home, tap the Menu

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    icon.
  2. Tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi Networks.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  3. tap your network name on your card
  4. Tap a network to connect. If you see a lock icon, a network password is required.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  5. Enter the password left on your card and press Connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "Help" I received from you did not solve my problem. Then I was

'denied access'. Consequently I went elsewhere and my problem was solved very quickly. I expect a refund of the $5 dep I paid.

I will send this to customer service to review. I am truly sorry that I was not able to help you with the information i have given you.