Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking

Hi, I recently got an HP Envy laptop and I tried to connect

Hi, I recently got an HP Envy laptop and I tried to connect to my iPhone 4S hotspot and it does come up but when it tries to connect it says "can't connect to this network"..... Help!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you first restart the iPhone please.

Hold the power and home button for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo.

Release and let the phone restart and then try to connect

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I already did that earlier,..... Also I'm communicating to u vi. Phone :-(

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Karen,

Can you on the iPhone go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset all network settings.

Once done, you will need to setup the Hotspot again.

Do this, then try to get Windows to connect to it.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

didn't work :-(

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, to confirm if it is the computer or phone that is the problem.

Can you try to connect to the Hotspot via another computer or device?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, nope it didn't connect to my old comp either.... uh oh

apple problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
yes, we need to reset the phone completley.

Do you first need to backup data Karen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

nope already backed up :-)

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Great!

Now go on the iPhones to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all data and reset.

Complete this please.

Once completed, setup the phone and the Hotspot.

Once done, try to connect and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, this may take some minutes...

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No problem, i'll be here Karen

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok I think I figured it out myself in end - I realised how to change the security code in properties in the wifi settings on windows 8 (its not same as my last comp.) so all the other stuff I didn't need to do.... thanks for your help anyway....

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok! that is also needed Karen.

But it should have asked this from you...

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Network Specialist
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yeah it defo should of asked but I think it must be the laptop...its been a clitchy piece of crap since I bought it. thank you and I will rate your service now. thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Windows 8 is still questionable...

There is an update soon, which is planned to fix a lot of bugs though.

If you need anything else Karen, feel free to ask me, this is no problem.

Thank you