James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols
24111805

Hi Justin - we got a lightning strike which disabled the ethernet

Hi Justin - we got a lightning strike which disabled the ethernet ports on my wireless router and desktop computer. Would like to be able to get desktop (an old Gateway GT4024) connected to internet again. Internet (ATT DSL) is OK since I can connect via ethernet wire to my laptop (router wireless not working either). Tried system restore but that didn't work.

Do the lights on the ethernet port turn on when you connect the desktop to the router with a network wire?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The router is fried so I'm connecting directly to the modem. Will have to disconnect laptop (that I'm using to chat with you) to see if the ethernet light on the modem comes on

Ok - I understand.

Please go ahead and try that - but make sure you power cycle the modem after connecting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do but will have to wait a few minutes as I'm on a conference call at the moment which is scheduled to end at 4pm Eastern

Please take all the time you need!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ethernet light on the modem does not come on when connected to the desktop.

Okay - so the desktop's ethernet adapter is blown.
There is a simple solution - get a USB Ethernet adapter for the desktop. They are cheap and easy to install.
You can get one at any local computer store.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll be glad to rate you (and all excellent so far) but what if your solution turns out not to work for some other reason?

Not a problem - this question will remain open for you forever. Simply come back and tell there is a problem, and we will figure it out together.
I'm happy to answer follow up questions at no charge.

You have nothing to worry about, though - this USB solution pretty much always works, it is simpe, reliable, proven technology.

Many thanks,

James.