Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Experience:  Fully conversant with Networking (LAN/WAN) and associated systems (Active Directory/Firewalls etc)

Network Design Paper

Building dimensions:

Length: 240 Feet

Width: 95 Feet

Height: 30 Feet

The 40-year-old two-story building has the following existing layout:

There are 6 computer labs that will be used for instruction. Each of these labs will have 21 computers (20 student computers and 1 instructor computer). Each of these labs will also have a server in the closet located inside the lab.

In addition to the 6 computer labs, there will also be a Student Computer Lab that will provide computer access to students to do their homework. There will be 30 computers in this lab and a server in the closet.

The library will also have some computers to allow students access to the library resources. There will be 10 computers for student’s use in the library, and 5 computers for Library staff.

There are 4 lecture classrooms in the building. Each of these rooms will have a computer for an instructor’s use.

Finally, there are various offices in the building. Each of these offices will have 1 computer for the staff use, with the exception of the Admission office that will have 5 computers for staff use.

2 server rooms have been allocated. 1 on the first floor, and 1 on the second floor.

Your task is to design the network for this new building using the following criteria:

1.) Student-accessed computers should be on a separate network from the staff-accessed computers. There should be at least 3 separate networks: Administrative, Instructional, and Public. All staff-accessed computers will be on the Administrative network. The computers in the instructional computer labs and classrooms that will be used for classes should be on the Instructional network. The wifi and the computers in the student lobby should be in the Public network.

2.) The whole building will share one Internet access connection (T-1 link from Verizon). This connection will come into the Server Room on the first floor. The Public IP address for the router there is

3.) There needs to be some sort of security setup across the network in order to protect students and employee's data on the servers and computers.

4.) The network has been assigned the network address for all computers and devices.

5.) The network must use physical cables, but can provide wireless access in the Student Lobby area.

Submission should be no more than 3 pages long, excluding diagrams and must include the following:

Network Addressing:

1. Define the subnet (based on: rooms, floor, department, or other criteria).

2. For each subnet, explain which devices/groups/users/rooms will be on this subnet, define the network address, subnet mask, and available IP addresses to be used by computers or devices.

Physical Network Design:

1. Define the topology that will be used.

2. Select the appropriate network media to use.

3. Select the appropriate network connecting devices to use.

4. Physical layout of the computers on the floor plan.

5. List of additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.

6. Justifications for your network design (number 1 – 5 above)

You will be evaluated on your ability to

1. Implement appropriate IP addressing scheme

2. Select and justify appropriate cable media that includes the length of each cable segment and number of nodes on each segment

3. Select and justify appropriate topology such as star, bus, or ring for your network

4. Select and justify of your selected network equipments

5. Select and justify appropriate network services to meet network requirements

6. Select and justify security implementation for the network

7. Usage of proper grammar, formatting, network terminology, and any usage of reference citations.

You will be payed on the basis of right media, topology and knowledge of networking concepts. You must be sure that you demonstrate:

1. Proper subnetting for the network and providing all the IP addressing information needed.

2. That your designs on a network met all the requirements and that you are able to justify your designs.

3. That you are able to elaborate on any technical knowledge that you convey.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I have created versions of this previously

Steve Herrod :

Let me know if they will be suitable

Hey thanks for the quick reply Steve. This is actually exactly what you did for that first submission (CMIT265) so I think that might work.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

feel free to work that however needed

Yeah looks like I would need to just swap up a few of the routing IP's and possibly the network address. But, it should work.

Steve Herrod :

Let me just tweek it for a minute here and give it a once over, then we should be all set :)

Steve Herrod :

Ok, I've attached the edited version to this reply, please look over the IP's and Networking addresses for me just to make sure everything matches the criteria from my original question.

Steve Herrod :

no problem, checking now

and don't worry about the file I'll delete it after we're done so no one else can access it.

Steve Herrod :

Steve Herrod :

that all looks good

Ok cool :)

Thanks a ton for all your help here Steve, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to leave you good feedback.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome