Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking

My iPhone asks me to connect to Cisco with a password XXXXX

My iPhone asks me to connect to Cisco with a password XXXXX I can get on the internet.
I have never done this even though I have used the Cisco router with my lap top for years.
WHat do I do?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Is this is the first time you are trying to connect the iPhone to your Cisco ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Normally I don't need to do anything. It happens automatically. I use Safari. But today I can't get Google or anything else...

the message says "Enter the guest access password XXXXX access the internet. Ask the owner if you don't know the password. The guest access password XXXXX be found using Cisco Connect.

I am the owner!

I tried using cisco Connect but there's no place that I can see on the website

Peter, this happens if the settings of your iPhone are corrupted. First we can reset the network settings of your iPhone and see if that works or not.

On your iPhone, goto Settings, tap General. Tap Reset and tap Reset Network Settings. Then goto WiFi and reconnect to your WiFi network using the WiFi password. If you are unable to connect, please let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I did the reset as you described, and tried Safari again and it said "unable to connect to the internet" but it did give me the name of the wireless networks available, including the name of my own router. But when I tried to connect, nothing happened. I'm going to try once more and use the password XXXXX version

After resetting the network settings, goto Settings > WiFi and select your WiFi in there. If asked, enter your wifi password XXXXX connect.

If you don't remember the password, then we can get the wireless password XXXXX your Windows 7 PC connected the Wireless Network. There are different ways to get the password XXXXX your PC. Follow the steps below to get the Wireless Password XXXXX

• On your PC (Laptop) connected to the home network, click on the network/wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen (left co the clock)
  • From the list of networks, right-click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.
  • Then click on the Security tab.graphic
  • Then click the box at Show characters.

This will show the password XXXXX the text box. Use that password XXXXX connect your iPhone to your network. Now open Safari and see if you are able to use internet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yip. I tried to open Safari and it says it could not open page because it could not connect ot the internet.

Usually it gives a list of available networks that I can connect to. My own router has a funny name "PinkMoose" and has a password, but there is also PinkMoose guest which does not need a password.

The odd thing is that I can get my email, including these emails from you, without difficulty

Don't select PinkMoose guest, make sure you are connected to PinkMoose.

Then goto Settings, select Safari. Then tap Clear History and tap Clear Cache. Then press and hold down Power button and Home button until it shows Apple logo. Now try Safari. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

while I am waiting for the phone to restart, I typed clear history, but there is not tab to say "clear cache". it just says "it can't be undone.
So now it has rebooted and it says "could not activate cellular data network. When I type "OK" the address window is blank.

When we reset network settings, the Cellular setings are also erased. You can add it back from Settings > General > Cellular Data (or Mobile Data) > Cellular Data Network (or Mobile Data Network). Under the Mobile Data APN, enter your APN. If you don't know it, you can contact your carrier to get it.

Goto Settings > Safari and select Clear Cookies and Data

Is your iPhone connected to the WiFi network now (PinkMoose) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am now connected to PinkMoose and the cookies and data have been cleared. I hit Safari again and nothing happened but then I tried searching and it seems OK.

I can bring up Google and so forth now.

So looks like the problem is solved.

If it happens again, I just turn the phone on and off again, is that reasonable?

Peter If it happens again, reset the network settings first and then restart it by holding down Power and Home button.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,