Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

Hi, Im using iPad 2 in the UK and keep getting a message saying

Hi, I'm using iPad 2 in the UK and keep getting a message saying "connection to the server failed" when trying to pick up mail (I use a account) despite the fact that I'm online using an office wifi network and can surf the web no problem. This is the first time I've connected to the office wifi on this iPad and haven't had any problems using other wifi services.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

It appears that the hardware firewall on that network is blocking your access to the mail servers because they use ports 443, 465, etc.

You can either ask the IT team at the office to allow your iPad through the hardware firewall or you can just use the webmail portion of your email account while you are there.

The webmail portion of your account is found here:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jason. When I click on the web mail link you gave me, it takes me to a page asking if I want to set up iCloud on this device... I thought iCloud was already set up and that's how I use mail (normally) or am I mistaken and do I need to set it up?

You should be given a page, on which you can log in.

If not, you can just set it up on the device.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hm.. I'm a little confused. I already have iCloud set up on this device - I can go into settings and see it there with my apple ID and the options switched on. I thought you meant I could login to iCloud via safari but the link you gave me isn't giving a login option, just asking if I want to set up iCloud on this device. But it's already set up as far as I can see?

My mistake.

That is correct.

The only option you have is to setup the email account within a true webmail email account. One example is DANGEROUS URL REMOVED If you have such an account, you can log into it and add your account. Once that is complete, you can view your addresses there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the example you gave came up as DANGEROUS URL REMOVED.. Could you add some spaces so I can see the URL? But it looks as though its not possible to check my iCloud account via safari on an iPad, is that correct? At least not unless I set up a web mail account, which I don't want to do?
Oh sorry.

The dangerous url was "Google" or Gmail.