A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.

Hi, I have a bachelors degree in Business Administration. But

Hi, I have a bachelors degree in Business Administration. But I spend time dabbling with laptops, routers and other communication technology items.Someone recommended that I do the CompTIA A+ test in order to get certified.

1) But here is my question: Whats the difference between being certified and doing a 4 year Networking program?

2) Do I have a do a 4 year program again if I am interested in being an expert in a certain networking field?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with this issue.

1. Getting a certificate is much faster than getting a 4 year degree, and honestly, if you can pass the certificate test you probably know more than any 4 year program will teach you.

2. In my experience, real world experience trumps most 4 year programs. If you have or want a job that requires the 4 year program then you should do it but more jobs with any degree plus experience.

Long story short, if you have any experience then most job will hire you without problems with or without a 4 year degree.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I be a network engineer or Administrator with just doing certification courses?

Honestly, it really depends on the company.

Me for example was a network administrator when I was 19, but it was for a small company.

Now I work for a large company and a degree was required, but not a certificate.

So I would say to your question: Yes, you can be a network engineer or a network administrator without a certificate course. You just have to show during your interview that you know what you're talking about.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a BA in business. To do another 4 year program is heavy. Certification course maybe better but someone with a 4 degree in that area will always have a competitive edge over certification, right?

Is there a growing need or demand for IT professionals? if so in what area?

On paper, yes, they would have an edge over any certificate but during the interview you'll have to show that you can do the job. In other words, I don't think you'd be looked over; in my opinion it makes you a well-rounded employee.

It's an interesting time right now, lots of companies are transitioning from Windows XP to Windows 7 so there is a huge demand for System and Network Administrators to assist in those areas.

If I were writing a resume for a job today, I'd highlight knowledge in Tablets and Smart Phones along with an expert knowledge of Windows 7 / Windows 8.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I am a teacher, I would teach in that subject area. Thanks for the information.

Being have a Bachelors Degree in business and Ceritication in CompTia A+, and security, how does that makes me look professionally?

Professionally, I would think you'd be perfect for IT purchasing or IT contracts.

For example, with a business background you know how to get a good deal and how to read and write contracts and with the IT certifications you will have the ability to know the differences between a 2MBPS internet connection and a 20MBPS internet connection for example.

The mix of business and IT will make you very unique.