Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I am on windows 8, nothing changed, and all of a sudden a white

I am on windows 8, nothing changed, and all of a sudden a white asterisk has appeared above the signal on the task-bar and I cannot connect to internet through WiFi at all.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message when connecting to Wi-Fi/wireless? Do you use Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon)?

Can you test connecting an Ethernet/network cable from the windows 8 computer to the internet/wireless modem/router and check if internet works via wired/cable connection?

Can we do a screen sharing session, so I can check and fix this issue directly for you?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using Google Chrome, but the error message is "No connection to internet"

Yes, right now I am talking to you by connecting with an ethernet cable, however it is strung all across my house to my computer.

Possibly

Please click on the website below and allow the ScreenConnect sharing program to run, then I will be able to chat with you and help you directly:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=12192a4b-0152-4cab-a16b-44c50e2dde09

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should it be taking ages to load?

Sorry, can you try that website in Internet Explorer?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still not loading, I am not a complete technology idiot, I guess you could just type out the instructions.

Sorry, what's the model of your computer?

Is wi-fi/wireless turned on?

What happens when you connect to your wireless network name?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a custom built computer

Yes wifi is turned on, it just suddenly stopped functioning properly

A white asterisk appears above where the signal strength is displayed on the task bar, and I have no internet whatsoever.

Please open Explorer or a folder, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't delete the driver when prompted). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall.

Then check. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You fixed it! Take my money and run! Thank you very much

Great. You're welcome. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please rate my service by clicking on the smiley face below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
actually it did it again

Sorry, can you please disconnect the power cord from the Internet / wireless modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect, and check?

If needed, can you disconnect the wireless adapter device from the computer, and uninstall its program from control panel, then restart the computer and reinstall the wireless adapter driver/software, then check?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still nothing

Sorry, I will chat with you in a minute. Thank you