hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007
40928634

I have an LG TV (55LV5400-UB). Ive had this TV since December

I have an LG TV (55LV5400-UB). I've had this TV since December 2011 and it was on my wireless network operating correctly. In May 2012 I began seeing the message "Connecting Wired LAN Cable" poppping up randomly. I've changed routers, changes surge protectors, changed encryption schemes from WEP to WPA2 to WEP again and then WPA, all without success. Written communications to LG Support have been fruitless. Do you know of any way to turn off networking on this model? Thanks.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Serg replied 1 year ago.

Sergey K. :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll assist you with this problem.

Sergey K. :

Did you updated the software for your TV or using factory software?
For the past years LG released number of new software versions that fix lot of problems and adds new functions

Expert:  Serg replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sergey, I have periodically checked for updates to the software/firmware. The current software version is 05.00.12 and the SDK version is 01.05. These versions are the latest ones and have been so since this problem began.

Expert:  Serg replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info,
You popup message is about wired connection but you're using wireless usb dongle to connect, it may happen you TV loses wireless connection and tries wired LAN.
Does the same message appears when you unplug usb wifi dongle and use TV without network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sergey, I did remove the wireless dongle sometime ago to test if the pop-up message would persist. It did! Therefore, I reinserted the adapter. Recently I tried making the wireless password XXXXX 'F's, that would in essence simulate a WEP encryption scheme (even though my router is set to WPA). I hoped that the connection would fail and in effect turn off networking.

However, if the TV upon failing to connect wirelessly, then tries to connect via ethernet, that would not make sense. A user would never have both connections on the same device with failover from one to another. In my 28 years at IBM I have never seen such a scheme, not on PCs, tablets, and certainly not TVs.

This pattern of pop-ups is random. Today the TV was on from 11:30am to 7:15pm...all without incident. Yesterday I had it on from 11:30am through to 12:30am the next day without incident.

If I could learn a way to turn off networking on this TV I could eliminate this annoying message.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your networking question.

Please make sure that the dongle or Ethernet cable is not connected to the TV and then go to Home - Set up - Option - Initial settings and restart the settings

Experience: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Hongkongpom, what you are suggesting is in essence reseting the TV to it's intial default settings. On this TV and model the terminology used on the screen is to 'Initialize the Premium'. This was done some time ago to no avail. The message keeps popping up.

However, today I did obtain an answer that I would like to share. An LG technician visited my house today to run diagnostics in hopes of fixing the problem. They determined that this message is the result of a hardware problem and they've ordered a new main (circuit) board to be installed. This solution matches another I've found on the web at:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1WJDRX97GL7L4

The best news is that LG is going to replace the part for no charge, even though this set began exhibiting the problem 5 months after the warranty had expired.