Martin, System Administrator
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

2TB iomega home media network hard drive will not autodetect

Customer Question

i have a iomega 2TB home media network hard drive which will not autodetect in the storage manager app, I have my LAN settings to DHCP and i can see the name of the device on my network but cannot connect to it or determine its IP address for the life of me, could you please help me? I am no real slouch at networking so we should be able to work it out fairly quickly i hope.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Martin :

Hi, my name is Martin and I'll be assisting you today.

Customer :

Good morning Martin, Blaize is my name

Customer :

you there?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
The issue you're having could have something to do with the MTU size set on the WiFi card.

Please try the following, go to start, type cmd and press enter.

Once you're in command prompt type the following:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

Tell me what the result of that command is, you should get something similar to:

MTU MediaSenseState Bytes In Bytes Out Interface
------ --------------- --------- --------- -------------
4294967295 1 0 563633 Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
1500 1 1764435417 63320568 Wireless Network Connection
1500 5 0 0 Local Area Connection 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Blaize,

What I need to know is the name of the connection you'd like to set this up with, for example: "Wireless Network Connection" or "Local Area Connection".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Local Area Connection

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.

Type this in the command prompt:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1458 store=persistent

Hit enter then try to access the Iomega Home Media Drive again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

says netsh is not a valid command, this is on MAC OSX please note, i can swap over to windows 7 OS if you prefer

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies Blaize, yes if you could try that command on your Windows 7 OS that would be great.

Please verify the name of the connection first by using the first netsh command I provided,

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

Followed by this command if your connection name is Local Area Connection,

Or, this command if your connection name is Wireless Network Connection,

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1458 store=persistent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay give me 2 minutes i gotta restart comp to swap OS, i will let you know how i get on with those commands, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, the interface came up with a lot of bytes in LAN as expected, i ran the second command and it told me, Ok. However that has not changed anything with regard to being able to actually connect to the device. It does not appear at all in the networking pane or in my computer, nor does it appear in the specific software for the device discovery (LenovoEMC storage manager)

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I get the feeling the problem might be physical, could you give me an idea how how the cabling is setup?

Example: CAT5e(Ethernet) cable from the router to the NAS (IOMEGA Drive) + CAT5e cable from router to computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just a direct connection with an ethernet cable from the NAS to the COmpuyter, its a modern one, cat5 or 6, i used the selfsame cable to connect to my partners laptop just last night. i have also tried with 2 different ethernet cables (the one supplied with the NAS and my own one). The problem could be physical with the NAS. For example the lights on the front seem to be working and the HD is spinning and whirring like normal but the light that represents network <--> activity has not lit up at all, but i figured that was just because i have made no concrete connection to it as of yet.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned in your original post that you were able to see the name of the device on the network but not connect to it or see its IP address, have you tried flushing your DNS?

Windows 7:

ipconfig /flushdns

Mac OSX 10.4 And Below:

lookupd -flushcache

Mac OSX 10.5 And Above:

dscacheutil -flushcache

After you've done this, try connecting again and/or try retrieving its IP address with the nslookup command on either Windows or MacOSX:

nslookup deviceName

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah i have tried the DNS flush and NS lookup, the only NS that appears is my ISP.

Sorry if i am misinformed but it says in the manual for the NAS that is no DNS server is found on the network (the networks consists only of my PC, the Internet is through a mobile USB stick, there is no ethernet router to speak of) it will autoassign itself a value ( in the 169.254.xx.xx range) which is not to say it will assign itself as the DNS server..?

Also i could only see the device under the network heading when i am booted on to Mac OS X, on windows i see nothing anywhere. Just a confirmation that i am connected to an unidentified ethernet network. Is it possible the partition on the NAS HD that handles boot or networking may be corrupted in some way?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You are not misinformed, it's quite common for network devices to auto assign a 169.254.x.x IP address when the DHCP server fails.

What you could do is try powering down (unplug) your main network device (mobile USB stick) and NAS device for a minute or two to see if it will give the NAS an IP from the DHCP server.

Your device could be faulty as you suggested, the best way to test this out is to plug it into another computer and/or on a different internet connection.

Let me know how this goes, if you still cannot get it to work, I will give another expert a chance to solve your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say we want to see if we can get an IP assigned from the DHCP server, which DHCP server do you mean? Realistically I should be able to just connect to the HD without any internet connection to the computer at all. I have tried connecting this device on several PC's, without and without internet connections (I am not really concerned about using the cloud feature at all to be honest) and have had no luck. The auto assign ethernet IP settings on my PC are coming up in the 169.254.x.x range also and i thought they would automatically be valued compatible with the NAS because that is the only other device on the network?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Well yes providing both your computer and NAS device are on the same subnet they should be able to communicate, but you say you haven't been able to make it work with other computer's on different connections?

If that is true then I suspect your NAS device might be faulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, last question, i always though a routable IP configuration had to be on the same subnet to three decimal places. however it appears to me now that if your subnet mask is only set to two decimals (ie. 255.255.0.0) then you could communicate with any device with a corresponding IP subnet to only TWO decimal places.

That is is my PC is set to 169.254.xx.xx and the device is set to 169.254.xx.xx and they both only have a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 (as opposed to 255.255.255.0) then they should be able to 'see' each other and communicate?

Is that correct? If so then yeah something has gone wrong with the NAS, the question is what? I was thinking maybe firmware or something? I found during my investigation that apparently the firmware is all coded in LINUX and that if i booted my computer with Knoppix i could possibly detect the NAS and repair whatever section of the code has gone wrong? do you know anything about that? dont worry if not, might be too much of a major for me to bother with anyway really :-/

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay, my ISP was performing maintenance in my area.

To answer your first question. Yes, since the Network ID is 169.254.0.0 and the Broadcast ID is 169.254.255.255 they have an assignable range between 169.254.0.1 and 169.254.255.254

Regarding your other questions, you could always try connecting through a Linux live CD like Knoppix or Backtrack (personal preference) but in order to upgrade the firmware you will have to have some form of connection to your NAS drive which is the step we're lacking at the moment.

If you want to give Backtrack a go you can download it for free here:
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

Boot into the DVD and type 'startx' (without quotes) to load up the GUI (graphical user interface)

If you're asked for a login username and password, the default credentials are:

Username: root
Password: toor

Once you're in the operating system you will see a little see-through terminal window just like the one you have on MacOsX, you can view your network interface settings by typing:

ifconfig

If the NAS is automatically detected like it should, it will come up either on your desktop as a newly detected device or you can try connecting to it with its DNS.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you.