Nick H.
Nick H., IT Specialist
Experience:  Basic Networking
63271161

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 and a Samsung Galaxy

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 and a Samsung Galaxy 4 SmartPhone. I'm trying to get my laptop to recognize my mobile hotspot when I turn it on. Apparently it recognizes my hotspot (wireless network) but when I click on connect, it says it can't connect to the network, even though I enter in the password XXXXX "Configure Mobile Hotspot."
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

Please try this method.

Turn off your phone. Turn it back on. Enable Hotspot.

On your laptop, go to Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center. On the left panel, select Wireless Connections. On the list, select your Mobile hotspot connection and select Delete.

Go back to Wifi. Scan and connect to your Mobile Hotspot connection..

Does it work now? Or still have the Cannot connect to network error again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I'm not seeing how to delete my mobile hotspot connection.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

On the wireless connections, you do not see the Mobile hotspot on the list?

If not, please try to connect after disable your HotSpot and turn off your phone.

If still not working, do you have another computer or tablet to connect to your Hotspot? We need to test to see if other devices can connect to that connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appears on the right side of the screen when I swipe the mouse arrow there, but it doesn't allow me to delete any of the connections.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Please do this.

Move your mouse to top right corner or press Windows button + I key. In the search field on top, type Network and Sharing Center and press Enter.

In here, on the left, you should see Manage Wireless Connections. Select that. On that list, do you see your Hotspot connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Manage Wireless Connections isn't an option; only Set up a new connection or network.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

That's fine.

On your phone, turn off HotSpot connection. Turn off your phone. Wait 1 minute. Turn phone back on and enable HotSpot.

Does your tablet connect to HotSpot now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I discovered that it only works when I check "Allow all devices." I don't want to allow anyone within range to use my hotspot. Now the MAC address for my laptop is no longer stored in the hotspot allowed device setting. Can you please remind me where that is?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Please go to Hotspot screen. Press Menu and select Access Control. See photo.

graphic

This should give you option to add your laptop. Or you can go to Settings and enable Hotspot password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have Menu or Access Control options on my hotspot screen or the device settings.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Please go to Settings->More->Hotspot. Can you go to Settings to set Hotspot password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can. When I enter the password XXXXX connect to the hotspot, it won't connect unless I allow all devices.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Allow all devices.

When you use another computer to connect to your Hotspot, will it ask for the password? Or connect automatically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't ask for the password XXXXX it's set to Allow All Devices. I don't have another computer to test that.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
On your Toshiba laptop, go to Wifi. Right click on your Hotspot and select Forget this Network.

Then try to connect to Hotspot again. Does it ask for password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it did.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Excellent!

That means your HotSpot does have password XXXXX ask password XXXXX all devices connect. So if your laptop is working now, then it is working properly as it should.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Kindly rate my answer so I can get credit. Thank you!

Nick
Nick H., IT Specialist
Experience: Basic Networking