hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007
40928634

Cannot setup dial up connection.The modem works - responds

Customer Question

Cannot setup dial up connection. The modem works - responds to query - and when trying to use "receive fax" I hear the dial tone. [However, outgoing faxes stay in outgoing folder "pending".] I want to setup dial up connection (for area with bad wireless/cable) - but get "error 633". Problems started when someone tried to configure something wrong and altered setting for telephony.

I have a Remote Access Diagnostic Report ready to share.

seem to only able to upload image files here (?)

Category: Networking
Expert:  Marco replied 1 year ago.

businesslegions :

Hi there,

businesslegions :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue.

businesslegions :

PLEASE NOTE: If this chat is idle for 5 minutes (no messages received by either party) it times out. If you do login to this chat and it appears I'm offline, please leave me a message here and I'll connect as soon as I can.

businesslegions :

have you tried to call the telephone number you are trying to send the fax to confirm it is correct?

Customer:

The phone number is XXXXX I get error 633. I can upload (to where?) the Remote Access Diagnostic Report if this may help.

businesslegions :

you can upload it to wikisend.com

businesslegions :

then provide me with the download link

Customer:

http://tiny.cc/06qwyw

businesslegions :

ok thanks

businesslegions :

let me have a look

businesslegions :

is the com port set to 28?

businesslegions :

can you confirm that it's set to the correct port number

businesslegions :

are you still there?

Customer:

I don't know how to confirm that it's set to the "correct" port number

Customer:

It was first set to port 21 - and I changed it to 28 as the last resort before contacting justanswer.com - didn't make a difference. It didn't work in either instance

businesslegions :

ok if you go to your modem

businesslegions :

Please follow these instructions:

businesslegions :

press windows key and e

businesslegions :

right click on computer

businesslegions :

click manage

businesslegions :

click on device manager

businesslegions :

check that your modem is listed

businesslegions :

and what COM port is being used

Customer:

28

businesslegions :

can you run a diagnostic test on this port?

Customer:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - +GMM: Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,1
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - +GCI: B5
AT+GCI=? - +GCI: (00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,09,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,1A,1B,1C,1D,1E,1F,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,2A,2B,2C,2D,2E,2F,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,3A,3B,3C,3D,3E,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47 ,48,49,4B,4C,4D,4E,4F,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,5A,5B,5C,5E,5F,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,6A,6B,6C,6D,6E,6F,70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,7A,7B,7C,7D,7E,7F,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,8A,8B,8C,8D,8E,8F,90,92,93,94,96,97,98,99,9A,9B,9C,9D,9E,9F,A0,A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8,A9,AA,AB,AC,AD,AE,AF,B0,B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B6,B7,B8,B9,BA,BB,BC,BD,BE,BF,C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C7,C8,C9,CA,CB,CC,CD,CE,CF,D0,D1,D2,D3,D4,D5,D6,D7,D8,D9,DA,DB,DC,DD,DE,DF,E0,E1,E2,E3,E4,E5,E6,E7,E8,EA,EB,EC,ED,EE,EF,F0,F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F7,F8,F9,FA,FB,FC,FE)
ATI1 - 255
ATI2 - OK
ATI3 - SoftK56V_B2.1_V7.80.4.0
ATI4 - Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem
ATI5 - 181
ATI6 - SoftK56
CModem Version 12
Rksample Version 342
ATI7 - 255

businesslegions :

ok modem seems to be working fine

businesslegions :

so it must be your dial up connection settings

Customer:

Yeah. I know that. Now.... it might be that some files are missing or blocked or whatever.

businesslegions :

error 633 generally means that the modem is in use

businesslegions :

can you send me a screen dump of your dial up networking settings

Customer:

where do I get that - there are several tabs in that box

businesslegions :

take a screen shot of each one and paste it in word

Customer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34990204/janswer/dialup.docx

businesslegions :

when you dialled didyou hear the negotiation tone?

Customer:

no. the 633 error comes up immediately

businesslegions :

have you tried testing using safe mode?

businesslegions :

just to make sure there isn't a program that is locking the dial up

Customer:

yes

businesslegions :

i'm assuming you've delete the connection and recreated it?

Customer:

yes.

businesslegions :

have you tried doing a restore

businesslegions :

to a date when you know the dial up was working

businesslegions :

Can you please follow these steps:

businesslegions :

Click Start - All programs - accessories - system tools

businesslegions :

click on system restore

businesslegions :

click next

businesslegions :

then choose a restore point you want to use

businesslegions :

you can also click on show more restore points checkbox to

businesslegions :

see more than the most recent restore points

Customer:

That restore point is unavailable. This problem was already 12 months ago. I use cable most of the time. But when using the computer at another location - dial up cannot be used

businesslegions :

have you tried connecting a telephone to the line and dialling the number to confirm that the dial number is XXXXX?

Customer:

I assume you didn't pay attention to my initial description.

businesslegions :

i'm not talking about dial tone

businesslegions :

do you receive a connection?

businesslegions :

this is to make sure the remote end is accepting connections

Customer:

There's no dial tone. No outgoing call. No connection.

businesslegions :

are you testing it with an actual phone? i'll opt out to see if another expert has any other ideas

Customer:

Yes. I'm testing with actual phone.

FYI: The following services are "disabled" - Media Center Extender Service / Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN / Enables integration with Active Directories.

businesslegions :

so for the phone , you dont hear a dial tone?

Customer:

The problem is dial up connection.
For the phone, I do hear a dial tone when setting up fax "receive".
But, I don't hear dial tone, nor can I connect, when "sending".

Customer:

.

businesslegions :

are you using the same telephone cable - Im assuming you're using a fax machine?

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your networking question.

Are you using a programme that came with your fax machine to send the fax?

If so, please try using the Windows Fax programme that comes with Windows 7. Please follow through the steps in this Microsoft link to see if you can send a fax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I hate going in circles.

Cannot setup dial up connection.

The modem works! - responds to query - and when trying to use [windows 7 program] "receive fax" I hear the dial tone. [However, outgoing faxes stay in outgoing folder "pending".].

I want to setup dial up connection....

Hello there thank you for your reply

From the document that you kindly uploaded, it seems the dialup connection is already set up.

Which ever programme you use will call upon the modem to dial the number that is required.

You didn't say if you were using the programme that came with the fax machine or using the Windows 7 programme.

However it seems that there is something corrupt with the dialup connection as you are getting the error that the modem is in use. I would delete the existing dial up connection by right clicking and selecting "delete" and then use the Windows Fax programme to set up a new dial up connection.

Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The modem is working. The fax is working. I used windows 7 fax. That's not an issue here.

The Dial Up Connection is _NOT_ working. It seems that some drivers for dial up connection is missing. I don't know which. Please respond accordingly.

Hello there,

Firstly, if rebooting the computer doesn't help with this problem, then I recommend you reinstalling the dialup connection in order to fix any driver issues that you say you are experiencing.

Before doing this, you can set a System Restore point by typing "create a restore point" from the search bar at the bottom left corner after clicking the orb.

This will allow you to later undo any changes made by uninstalling this new dialup connection.

After setting the restore point, go ahead & delete the dialup connection.

Next, I recommend that you reboot the computer and then create a new dialup connection using the Windows 7 Fax & Scan tool.

The issue seems to be that the modem is responding because you can hear a dial tone, but it won't dial out.

If creating a new dialup connection doesn't fix the problem, then you can use the System Restore tool to put you back to where you were before.

Best regards,

hkp