RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Hi.Our phone-Land-line with DSL connection is

Customer Question

Hi. Our phone-Land-line with DSL connection is XXX-XXX-XXXX Name is Hans  We have problems with our DSL connection. My question is: Do you still use PPPoE protocols for this connection? Setting PPPoE up using Name =>XXXXXXX, no longer seems to work. What has changed, if anything. Several months ago the original Westell DSL stopped working and I got a new one type: Netgear ADSL+MODEM Type DM111PSPV2 It worked fine for several months. Recently it stopped working with our wireless Broadband Router Linksys Model WRT54G2. I have configured the router to use PPPoE with the user-name and password XXXXX above. What could be wrong, it is probably something I have done wrong In advance thank you for your help. XXXXX EMAIL =>XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Category: Networking
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.
If the ethernet connection works through the router than the problem is not with the pppoe as that goes between the router and the isp. so if anything works through the router that part is working

more likely you just have to either turn on the wireless or re configure it with a new passkey.

does the router show up in the list of available networks ? What happens when you try to connect to it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi You did not answer my question.

My question was:

Does Verizon use PPPoE as a network protocol. I upgraded my service and it no longer seems to require PPoE protocol. When I use the proper username and password XXXXX connection does not happen.

Please answer my question!. I know the other stuff quite well, I have been doing networking for about 15 years.

XXXXXX

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.
I believe that they are using pppoe. However if you use the setup cd it will set up the pppoe on the computer under dial up networking so you dont have to set it in the router.

They may also be using a westall router / modem rather than a straight modem and the pppoe would be set up on that. If that is the case you have to make sure that your router is not using the same ip as the westal or set it to bridge mode.

what equiptment are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Please cancel my subscription your input was of no use whatsoever you did not try to understand my problem and did not read or understand my E-Mail. That is unacceptable action from a service person. You obviously did not read my first message where I carefully stated what equipment I have. After about 4 hours ov work this morning I figured out what was wrong. The wireless Hub did not configure correctly, If power is removed from this router, it "forgets" some of the configuration parameters. When you then power it up again several of the required setup-parameters have changed. The way I got it to work was to make 40 foot configuration cable and configure the Wireless hub in situ. It now works fine. XXXXXXX

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.
first i dont get emails. I only get postings to this page.

second you said nothing about a wireless hub even though you claim you told me all of the equiptment there.

third when i tried to start trouble shooting with you all you did was tell me that you did not want to trouble shoot you just wanted to know if verizon used pppoe

In my FIRST post back to you i told you definatively that if anything worked through the router than the pppoe was NOT the problem. It seems that i was correct in saying that. But you refused to listen to me and just claimed that i did not understand the situation and you knew all about it and you were sure it was the pppoe and all you wanted from me was to tell you that they no longer used it.

So you can mark me as giving poor service but as i am not in your house i can only do my job based on the information that you give and i can only trouble shoot what you allow me to troubleshoot. How would you grade your own actions as a customer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

I am sorry about the harsh language in my earlier communication. I had social pressures (wifely, mostly) on me to solve this confusing wireless network problem we have. The word were: "Why don't you consult an "expert", which I did, you.

I should have realized that the "experts" have less experience than I have, especially over the limited information-bandwidth communication channel that E-Mail presents.

I think I have solved our problem now:

Evidence #1:

Verizon upgraded my up and download speed by a factor of 2. They did that because in Salem MA they have no intention of providing Fios, which I had requested. The upgrade was to stop using PPPoE which obviously reduces the effective up and down data rate. Verizon never told me about this change, they just reduced my monthly charge by about $20.

Evidence #2:

PPPoE no longer works and my various network connections assumes PPPoE and thus no longer connect.

Evidence #3:

All nodes set up to use PPPoE fail to communicate and do not connect anymore. Resetting those nodes resolve the connection problems.

The fourth problem I have is that the Wireless hub tends to forget it's configuration after about 30 minutes of an unpowered state. 10 minutes power off is OK, 20 minutes power off => bad.

These are obvious problems that can't be solved over a literal communication link. These problems can only be solved via a physical presence as you alluded to in your E-Mail response.

In summary: I must solve my problems myself, since I am the only one with physical presence.

Keep up the good work, but please cancel my subscription, I do not need it and do not want it.

Sincerely yours.

Hans J Weedon.

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.

the way pppoe usually works best is to put the pppoe login on the first device ie router or modem right next to the dsl line. After that nothing needs to use the pppoe as it puts out straight Ethernet after that for the rest of the network. You COULD put the pppoe on every device and it would not matter much ( unless they stop using it lol ) in which case you would have to take it off those devices.

You can keep your subscription or not but you have to email support@justanswer.com in order to deal with any billing questions. They can also give you a refund if you choose. I would of course like a better rating from you even if you request a refund and/or cancel your subscription.

I have worked with pppoe and using multiple routers on it. I have been doing networking since the original novel networks. If you would like my assistance I would be happy to help as much as is possible using this communication method. But my basic thought with what you have told me is to just redo all of the router or access point setups making sure they don't have pppoe on them.