Josh, Helpdesk
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support

Cant remember my password XXXXX home WIFI network

Can't remember my password XXXXX home WIFI network
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you,

Do you have a Windows 7 computer that is currently connected through wireless?

If you don't then what is the make/model of your router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not really sure if this computer is Windows 7... anyway my router is linksys G

No problem - We can go through the router:

From a connected computer, click one of the links below(if one does not, please try the other):

A login prompt should pop up, to login, type admin for both the username and password. If that doesn't let you in, try leaving the username name blank, and use admin for the password.

Click the Wireless tab > Wireless Security > On that page look for a key #1, passphrase, or preshared key box, it will show your wireless network password, if you have any trouble let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

admin did not work!

Try using these passwords(they all use admin as the username)

[blank](do not enter a password)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't work

OK no problem - It appears that the default password XXXXX changed. We are going to reset the router and recreate the network with a password XXXXX your choosing.

While it is powered on, press the reset hole on the back of your router with a paper clip and hold it down for 30 seconds. Make sure it 'clicks' in when you press it, you'll hear or feel it even though the hole is very tiny. While still holding down the reset button, sharply unplug the router from power, and wait 30 seconds. Finally, plug the router back into power (all while still holding the reset button), and wait another 30 seconds.

Essentially during the whole process you're not letting go of the reset hole, it can be a little tricky so please take your time and let me know once you've done that and we'll continue with the next steps.

After the reset:

From this connected computer click one of the links below:

Click the Wireless tab > Basic Wireless Settings > Look for the (SSID) box and type a name for your network (choose manual if you don't see it), then save or apply your settings at the bottom

Click Wireless Security again > Pick WPA or WPA2 for the security mode > In the passphrase or shared key box make a password, at least 10 characters

Save or apply your settings. Wait 2 minutes then try to connect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I know if it worked??? Sorry it took so long but had to reboot a couple of times!!!

If you followed all of the steps and it worked properly then your new password XXXXX work on any wireless device that is attempting to connect to the network.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had some apps on my old phone which are installing on my new one. I thought by connecting it to my network they would reinstall, but they still say "waiting".

On the iPhone, you will need to reconnect to your new network that you setup.

Tap Settings > Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi is off, turn it on by tapping the on/off icon.

Available Wi-Fi networks appears under "Choose a Network..."

Locate and tap the Wi-Fi network you want to join.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did that. Apps still "waiting"!

Try opening the internet and see if you can go to a website page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

which site?

Any website will do

Try going to and type in apple then click on the first website listed; does it load all pages?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK great -

Tap on one of the apps that is saying Waiting so it shows that it is paused then tap on it again.

If that does not work then please delete the apps and download them again from the App store
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK... how do I delete an app? When I tried to reoad Viber it saif the Safari can't do it???

Are you downloading the apps from the Apple store? It sounds like you are trying to download from a website
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh I'll check. Sorry I'm so dumb about this. But the ones that are waiting came for the apple store I think.

No problem - You can delete the waiting apps by holding down your finger on the app until it starts to shake and click on the X