Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

The Expert who answers

The Expert who answers my question should be very knowledgeable about networking using Bluetooth, because I am a freelance court reporter and I am trying to create a "home grown" solution to a networking issue, in order to avoid buying the EZ-Send Device from Stenocast (XXX.XXXXXXXXX). The EZ-Send costs $400 plus each USB drive you buy is another $100. I don't want to spend $700-800. Instead, I want to see if I can accomplish the same myself with a "home grown" solution to sending a realtime court reporting feed to attorneys in the room, while I am taking down testimony. I have sketched out on paper how I currently work and what I want to do. If the Expert can give me an email address, I can email him a PDF of my sketch so he understands the situation. A friend had recommended a Bluetooth Dongle, but I don't see how that will work, and he never got back to me to tell me.

DrSharePoint :

Without see your sketch I answer your question: yes this is possible using Bluetooth. The only requirement is that all recipients have a Bluetooth enabled device.
Heres how you would achieve the results you have outlined:
1st you would create a Personal Area Network (PAN)

DrSharePoint :

click START
then click CONTROL PANEL
then click NETWORK AND INTERNET
then click NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER
then click MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS

DrSharePoint :

Now under PERSONAL AREA NETWORK click the BLUETOOTH NETWORK CONNECTION icon

DrSharePoint :

Here you will configure your PAN with name etc... (something like Court Room #3)

DrSharePoint :

Now create a folder local to you PC and share it to your PAN (double click MY COMPUTER then C:\ and choose NEW FOLDER)

DrSharePoint :

Right click over this new folder and choose PROPERTIES then click the SHARING

DrSharePoint :

let me know when you have completed these steps and I will check back

DrSharePoint :

david

Customer :

DrSharePoint, I wanted to test your instructions using my laptop with my Asus netbook. I saw everything you suggested to do on my laptop, which I confirmed has Bluetooth by checking device manager, but my Asus netbook does not indicate that it has Bluetooth.

Customer :

If I simply bought a small Bluetooth dongle for the Asus, should it be able to become part of my PAN, even though it doesn't seem to have Bluetooth installed?

Customer :

Also, I don't understand why you have me creating a folder on my PC and then clicking Sharing. I didn't do it, since I ran into this Asus situation, but am wondering if you understand the application.

Customer :

I am trying to set up a bluetooth network to do realtime court reporting. That means that as I type on my writer, it communicates in realtime to my laptop, and then that should be broadcast out to my netbook computer, and the other laptops in the room which belong to the attorneys. They will see the words in realtime.

Customer :

Currently, my writer communicates to my laptop via Bluetooth. There is a device I screw into the back of my writer's serial port, and then I put a small Bluetooth dongle into the USB of the laptop. As I write, my words appear on my laptop screen in realtime for me. Now, I am trying to broadcast that out at the same time to my netbook and the other laptops in the room.

Customer :

This is why I wanted to send you a sketch.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for an answer, and would appreciate if you can find another professional to assist me. Thank you.

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Lindie

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your questions. Let me begin by saying that I don't think my answer will make you happy. To begin, a little explanation of how bluetooth works is in order. Bluetooth devices connect in a 1-to-1 pairing. This is unlike a wireless router that sends out a broadcast which multiple devices can connect to. I looked at the EZ-Send documentation to determine how it works. EZ-Send literature states that up to 14 devices can be connected. Inside the EZ-Send unit are two banks of what are effectively 7 bluetooth dongles (a bluetooth specification limitation), hence the 14 device connection limit. It's a similar situation to running wires to connect to each attorney/judge laptop running RealTime in Summation (or other software) using a multi-line block. Each has it's own discreet connection.

For you to set up such a system yourself you would need a separate dongle on your computer for each client to which you would need to connect as well as another dongle on each connected computer. Getting all this to work together would be a huge headache that I'm not sure would save you money in the long run. The Stenocast system, while not cheap, is proven to work and they do offer support that you would not have if you put something together yourself.

Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience: CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.

Hello again and thank you for the rating and bonus. I saw your new post and sent it to the category moderator and am responding here. The Stenocast hardware/software implementation is indeed proprietary (as are many things in the legal field) and a little pricey but may prove to be a worthwhile investment. Thanks again.