Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My computer to have one static public IP address. I need assistance

My computer to have one static public IP address. I need assistance setting up my computer/ router for this.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Your public IP address is issued to you by your internet service provider. Most internet service providers do have the option of getting a static IP but you usually have to pay some money for it.

This is not something you set up on your computer or router, just to explain a bit further in case you do not understand networking.

Your internet service provide will issue you an IP address, this is what will show publicly.

Now your router will operate as a DHCP server which will issue IP addresses to your computers on your network, these are internal private IP addresses which will usually start with 192.168, these are NOT seen on the internet.

So what you need to do is contact your internet service provider and tell the you need a static IP.

Again you do not set this up on your router or computer.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My isp has gave me a static ip of 24.204.52.69

Ok so what is it you're trying to do? I thought you said you wanted a static public IP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As stated, i need my computer to have one static public IP address. Right now my network is setup as dhcp and automatically assigns the ip. I have a fleet tracking system that needs to send gps data over the internet to my computer so it has to have the same ip all the time.

Ok you said your public IP which is not the one on your computer.

You can set the computer to a static by doing the following.

Click the start button and if windows xp choose run, if 7 or vista type cmd and press enter.

In the command prompt type ipconfig /all and press enter.

Make note of the default gateway IP and DNS Servers IP's and IPV4 address and subnet mask.

Next Click the start button and if windows xp choose run, if 7 or vista type ncpa.cpl in the search box and press enter.

Right click on the computers network connection and choose properties.

Next click internet protocol 4 and click properties on the bottom right.

Select use the following IP address.

Fill in the information you got from ipconfig and click ok.

If you did everything correctly you should be able to get online and now the computer will always have the IP you entered.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is the requirements that the gps application requires http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11635

Do i need to modify my router for this to work? It also uses a specific port, i was wondering if it also needs port forwarding setup?

Yeah you are going to to need to modify the router for sure if you plan on accessing it from outside your network.

What it looks like to me is essentially you are setting up a web server.

Aside from the software that you would need to install, you will need static IPs on teh gateway and the computer you accessing, which it sounds like you have.

Next your firewall in your router is going to need to allow traffic and port forward the request to the computers IP address which you will make static.

I am not sure how much experience you have with networking but this type of project I would not call entry level and it can be really confusing if you have never done it before.

How you port forward will be vary depending on what router you have.
Here are a bunch of guys for many router models:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

So software aside, 3 things must be done from a networking stand point. Static IPs and port forwarding.

Most likely all you will need to do with the router is the port forwarding so look up a guide on the link I have you or check your router manucaturers website for the routers manual and it will explain it in there as well.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not entry level but surely not an expert. i just need to know how to set up the static ip on my router and computer. I have forwarded ports before. It is a dlink DIR-615. All i have is the static ip adress from my service provider, i dont know what settings to use for the subnet, gatway, primary and secondary dns server or the computer settings.

Did you see my last reply?

I explained this to you. In short you are taking the information the computer is already using and entering it as static.

You need to Click the start button and if windows xp choose run, if 7 or vista type cmd and press enter.

Select use the following IP address.

The information from ipconfig /all is what you will use for all of the information you are entering.

Your router is pulling the information for the IP from your modem so the only thing you need to do on the router is port forward. Here is a video on doing that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6dpDZXg7g

Here is another tutorial on doing this:
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/D-Link-Port-Forwarding-s/286.htm

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have forwarded ports before, thats no problem. I just wasnt aware that thats all that has to be done. What happens when my power goes out and the router assigns my computer a new ip address?

The router will not assign an IP to the computer any longer once you set it to a static.

If the computer shuts down or reboots the IP remains the same.

When you set the computer to a static IP it no longer looks to grab an IP automatically.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I couldnt get my computer to work properly setting it up as static with dhcp enabled on my router, will it do the same thing if i add my computers current ip to the dhcp reservation list? Also i have a choice between port forwarding and virtual server. It seems the virtual server port forward will work best for this?

You should be able to set it as static the way I told you. This will be the easiest way.

Perhaps you entered something incorrectly?

Have a look at this guide which shows pictures and try again:
http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

Thanks