Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking

hi, having a lot of trouble with lag when gaming. can you help

hi, having a lot of trouble with lag when gaming. can you help me diagnose the problem?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, I'll try my best to help you. What is your question ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was playing an online game. kind where it has many other players. I was getting a lot of lag. Besides cleaning my cache, i was wondering what else i can do. Is there a way to have some kind of buffer?

What game is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

league of legends.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i dont think its my computer. I think its the flow.

Sometimes my connection goes from 1048 what nots, to 101 what nots but never had lag this bad before.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Some kind of flow regulator?

Hi Sarah, It must be the connection. Go to and run the tests.

Then go to and run those tests too.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first one the speed test

gave me 24. 7 mbps - download

and 4.6 mbps - up load

the second site, the ping one

gave me 37 ping

and 7ms for jitter.

Gave comcast a B*

My connection is fine, most of the time, its some times gets that lag spike. I thats why i was asking about some kind of buffer or flow regulator for when the spikes happen.

Hi Sarah, Well, B* is not that good for online gaming. Your Download and Upload speed are fine, but your Ping is 37. The lower the ping is the better the gameplay will be. Online game play depends up on Ping, not the Upload or Download speed. The lagging usually happens if the ping is high. Remember, these things are out of our control. The best ways to improve online gameplay is, use Wired connection, disable other internet related tasks like sharing, downloading etc. Ethernet is more reliable and faster for online gaming, so hard wire instead of using wireless if not already.

However, we can do some maintenance on your Mac. So if there any problem with your Mac, these steps should fix the problem. Goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk. Click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Then download and install this utility, Onyx from here : (download the correct version of Onyx, you can see the different versions of Onyx in the bottom of that site)

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. When it finished, restart your Mac. Try LoL game.

BTW Sarah, I don't think there are any buffers or flow regulators you can setup when this happen. Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,