Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking

My network stop working today. or shall I say my router? I

My network stop working today. or shall I say my router? I can hardwire my modem directly to the PC and it works, but when I put router in between, I can see router is on, both wireless and ethernet connected but internet is disabled. Called Linksys, they said my network must be got hacked by someone but can that be true as I have my wireless password... How can I fix this issue?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Unless other people have your password XXXXX manual access to your router, it is not possible to hack it

We can reset your router and that will reset the router's settings to default.

Press and hold down the Reset button (or hole) on the back of the router for 10 seconds and this will reset the router's settings to default. This will temporarily disconnect you from the internet.

Wait 3 minutes. Then connect the router to your PC via ethernet, open your internet browser and goto

This will open your router configuration window. When asked for username and password, enter admin as password XXXXX leave username blank. Click OK

In the Configuration page, click on Wireless tab. Then in there, enable Wireless and setup Security. Save settings and try connecting via Wireless

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put in the web address it ask me to install the Cisco connection. I put I the cd and download the program It said there's no Internet connection. What do I do?
When you goto (on address bar, not on search) what exactly does it says ? Doesn't login to router configuration window when you ignore the message ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did u get my answer? It's either install the Cisco connect or go open unsecured network. I tried Cisco connect it said cannot detect my router though it was powered on but cable connected to my docking station one side light is red and the other side is flashing yellow. I tried manual configuration which I set up name and networking key it showed I am connected the signal was excellent but I cannot get on Internet at all.
Sorry I didn't get your answer. Can you do factory reset on your Router ? To factory reset, press and hold down the reset button for 30 seconds.

Remember, this will disable your internet (wired and wireless) and you will have to manually setup it again (Manual Configuration). So if this is a software/firmware issue, resetting will fix it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did. Then I get on the site you gave me it ask me to install the cd, I can skip to install Cisco connect by choose open insecured network then it will give me the configuration page I put in user name and password. Saved it. It said I am connected with strong signal but I still cannot connect to Internet.
What is the security mode/type selected under Wireless Security ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wpa2/EPA mixed mode
Can you disable it or make it open and then test again ?
Also make sure DHCP is enable there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I disabled it now it connected again signal still excellent but the Internet said the address is not valid

It seems like it is hardware related. Connect your PC to Wireless, then on your PC, press Windows and R keys. This will open Run box. Type cmd and press enter.

Then type ipconfig /renew and press enter. Did that work ?

Forgot to ask do you have this problem with all of your devices ?

I mean do you have this problem with all of your devices ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes all my devices
Then this is a hardware problem since the reset to factory settings didn't work. If this is your network, then you won't be able to get to internet at all. So it is clear that the problem is with your router. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far. Is there any way to get another router to check it, so we can confirm it is the router?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have another route. Do you think I need to buy a new one and it should solve the issue? Why it said its connected with good signal? Are u sure no one else can use it? I am so frustrated on this one. I only had it for two years its nothing but trouble
Yes. If it is a software issue, then the reset should've worked as it will reset your router to out of box state. My last suggestions are, change the DNS of your Router to open DNS. See here :

Make sure DHCP is enabled and MAC Address Filtering is turned off.

Since none of your devices are not connecting, you or no one can't use it via Wireless. But I'd recommend to turn off Wireless since it is not working.

Is it possible to try your router with other network ? On your friend's network ? That will cofirm whether it is the router or the network and I believe it is the router.

Yes, a new router should solve the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just tried again did the ipconfig\renew. It worked! Shall I do open DSN or my old password XXXXX wpa2/wpa mixed model is ok? What could be the cause of the issue? Because it was online all of sudden everything went off line is there any way to prevent it? Thank you!!!
No, don't do open DNS since it is working. WPA2/WPA Mixed is ok. Make sure you don't set it as WPE as WPE is less secure. It seems like the settings of the router was corrupted (might be a IP addressing problem). It should've worked at first time when you tried the steps above. Anyway, Im glad you got it worked now.

If it happens again, reset your router and then renew your IP Address using the ipconfig\renew command

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,